TW skiers: need recommendation

mostest def

Veteran XV
Hello friends,

I'm considering setting up a small ski trip with my girlfriend in between Christmas and new years. I'm thinking Salt Lake city is a pretty good destination and was wondering if anyone had skied there before and where they stayed etc.

Thanks

denja%20w%20tools2.jpg

^ not my girlfriend btw, just some motivation

Utah is a good place for a ski vacation. Alta/Snowbird/Solitude/whatever that's not Park City and you'll do well.

depends on how serious you are about skiing

the park city area (park city, canyons, deer valley) will have the best balance of skiing and non-skiing stuff, but the ski areas are more beginner/intermediate oriented. much better skiing can be had at snowbird/alta but its not somewhere you would want to stay. everything is driveable from SLC however

i'm not a good skier so the beginner intermediate stuff would be the best. Is park city all close enough together where we would be best off taking a cab around or should we go ahead and get a rental car?

Rent the car. Too far by cab unless you're going to Alta and Snowbird. SLC is expensive to fly too. Christmas and New Years is the most expensive time to go. You'd have to start looking for flights right now. Me? I stayed at the Marriott in Park City and loved it. Read my web page.
Park City Resort 2009

I want to go back this year, looking to visit Alta then Park City again. For Alta I'll stay one day at a cheap hotel near SLC and drive to Alta. For Park City, I'll stay at the Marriott again. They have extended check out available, short car ride to the slopes, and a parking garage. Park City has a 3.5 mile trail called Home Run that's mostly green with a few blue areas. Takes 2 lifts to get to the top.

Park City has a deal, ski for free the day you fly in. Have to fill out a form, then show your plane ticket when you arrive.
http://www.parkcityinfo.com/static/index.cfm?contentID=1047
If your flight arrives fairly early, you could rent the car, head over to Park City, rent your gear, and ski for free.

Last edited:
i'm not a good skier so the beginner intermediate stuff would be the best. Is park city all close enough together where we would be best off taking a cab around or should we go ahead and get a rental car?

if you are on a very tight budget, i think theres a free shuttle to all the resorts in the area, and park city itself is walkable

however, i would personally recommend a car for the flexibility, and in case you want to check out some of the other areas (snowbird/alta, brighton/solitude). often times they get much better snowfall a few canyons over

Oh. Just go to Park City then. I bet there's a free or cheap shuttle from the airport. I'm flying in to SLC for a weekend this winter, $81 RT tickets on Southwest and a friend I can crash with, hell yeah. Only problem is going to be carrying on two pair of boots.

can't you check skis and boots separately as one item on southwest? unless you're not willing to risk checking them

Oh. Just go to Park City then. I bet there's a free or cheap shuttle from the airport. I'm flying in to SLC for a weekend this winter, $81 RT tickets on Southwest and a friend I can crash with, hell yeah. Only problem is going to be carrying on two pair of boots.

Why are you bringing 2 pairs of boots?

can't you check skis and boots separately as one item on southwest? unless you're not willing to risk checking them
I'm not checking my boots. Anything else that gets lost can be easily replaced, borrowed, or rented (clothes, skis, etc.). If boots get lost I'm screwed.

Yoda, 2 pair of boots because one pair alpine, one pair AT (going backcountry). Could get around that if I used some trekkers though.

Also, these are my new alpine boots. Should have them in a week or two. SO STEEZY:

ONECOL.jpg

Deer Valley (in park city) has some of the nicest groomed beginner/intermediate runs in the country. It's luxurious and expensive all around. Worth checking out one day at least. Check out the Steik Eriksen Lodge if you go. Lots of places to stay/rent in PC too.

Rent the car. Too far by cab unless you're going to Alta and Snowbird. SLC is expensive to fly too. Christmas and New Years is the most expensive time to go. You'd have to start looking for flights right now. Me? I stayed at the Marriott in Park City and loved it. Read my web page.
Park City Resort 2009

I want to go back this year, looking to visit Alta then Park City again. For Alta I'll stay one day at a cheap hotel near SLC and drive to Alta. For Park City, I'll stay at the Marriott again. They have extended check out available, short car ride to the slopes, and a parking garage. Park City has a 3.5 mile trail called Home Run that's mostly green with a few blue areas. Takes 2 lifts to get to the top.

Park City has a deal, ski for free the day you fly in. Have to fill out a form, then show your plane ticket when you arrive.
Park City Quick START promotion, Ski Free on arrival
If your flight arrives fairly early, you could rent the car, head over to Park City, rent your gear, and ski for free.

don't rent a car

there are a million shuttles that run from the airport to the ski mountains and there is public transit that runs straight up to the ticket windows

it's a waste of money for driving from a hotel to a ski area 2x a day

or just stay slope-side at a place like the goldminer's daughter that isn't very expensive
I'm not checking my boots. Anything else that gets lost can be easily replaced, borrowed, or rented (clothes, skis, etc.). If boots get lost I'm screwed.

check the at boots

you can skin in downhill boots if you have to

one pair is a big enough hassle to carry on

Back