[TW Ph.Ds] From law school to grad school

La Heladera

Veteran X
So I'm getting materials together to apply to Ph.D programs in English. And I'll graduate with my JD in May.

No, I haven't done terrible in law school (near top of class), and I don't go to a shitty law school. However, I didn't hit the job search real hard, but mostly because I'm just not passionate about the law. Too much of what I've learned about the lawyer culture has turned me off from the profession over the past 3 academic years. In any case, literature is what I'm most passionate about.

My question is, for those TWers who are Ph.D students (perhaps even English Ph.D students), will the law degree be a strength in my application, or something I will have to explain away in my statement of purpose? Both?

And is the GRE more important than undergrad GPA or quality of undergrad institution? Writing sample more important than either? I'm banking on the GRE being weighed heavily (and the JD being a strength) since standardized tests are usually my forte, and because the quality of my undergrad university is somewhat suspect. Also, is the LSAT > GRE in terms of difficulty? Seems real simple from the sample questions I've seen.

In any case, need advice/someone to talk to about this. Flame away if necessary.

What the fuck are you doing with a JD and not wanting to practice?

Explain yourself, son.

you're on your way to a doctorate and you took that post seriously?

why don't you take a week off from academia and work construction. It will be a very educational week for you.

If you have a JD it's pretty hard not to get hired. Unless you don't think you can pass the bar...

If you have a JD it's pretty hard not to get hired. Unless you don't think you can pass the bar...

Na, that's not the issue. Granted, bar is probably grueling, but over 90% of students from my school pass the state bar on their first try, so I never assumed it'd be an issue.

Just don't want to practice law. Alternatively, if I don't pursue grad school, would probably work government or business in a non-law position, but one in which the JD is "helpful" -- whatever that means.

you must be one debt ridden mother fucker

but in all likeliness, since money hasn't come up in your posts yet, you're a spoiled douche bag.

it took you 3 years of law school to realize you don't like law?

since it was covered anyway, figured I'd stick with it. I also assumed I wouldn't really know until I worked a summer or two, and made observations in a place of employment.

I also should have been more specific -- I don't have a passion for law practice. The study itself is perfectly fine. Maybe I'll just be a professional student :eek:

Last edited:
yeah i'd kick ass at law. i hear it's boring as fuck though.

gunna try engineering (not boring lol *jk)

LSAT is way harder than the GRE. No comparison. GRE has math tho :(

lots of shit you can do with a law degree besides practicing law btw

My question is, for those TWers who are Ph.D students (perhaps even English Ph.D students), will the law degree be a strength in my application, or something I will have to explain away in my statement of purpose? Both?

And is the GRE more important than undergrad GPA or quality of undergrad institution? Writing sample more important than either? I'm banking on the GRE being weighed heavily (and the JD being a strength) since standardized tests are usually my forte, and because the quality of my undergrad university is somewhat suspect. Also, is the LSAT > GRE in terms of difficulty? Seems real simple from the sample questions I've seen.

In any case, need advice/someone to talk to about this. Flame away if necessary.

First off, my understanding is that english lit PhD scene is really, really fuckin competitive to get into and not entirely reasonable. Be warned. Thus, i think it's really important to connect with people (i.e. professors) and to do real serious research about programs.

Your experience and degrees can be a strength. GRE will matter more than anything about your undergrad GPA. Most importantly, having somebody there vouch for you is essential. Finally, having quality english lit people give recommendations is key. One of my best friends was a top tier english undergrad who was a very skileld writer, had pulitzer prize recommendations and still didnt get into his top pick (so, went to law school lol). Most fields are not like this.

Asw for GRE vs LSAT, id honestly dare say the GRE is harder overall because it's broader in scope. But i did them years ago, so i cant say it's still the same. They overlap. I considered the LSATs a total joke. Those humanities people may not admit it, but they'll be impressed if you do very well even in the math stuff.

Ace the GREs and make connections at the programs. Even have an idea who you'd look to as potential adviser/chair. Doctoral programs are all about having 1 solid person you like, trust, learn from and who has your back.

Back