Tribes : Ascend

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they do decide to do unlocks, they should do them like TF2 like somebody said earlier. The TF2 unlocks/drops have a minimal effect on gameplay in my opinion.

edit: The unlockable weapons don't really give people a distinct advantage, I think they just open up different approaches to gameplay.

bolded the part I disagree with, the whole point to "fair" competition gaming is having all those different approaches available and being able to select what approach you want to take.

It would be like limiting someone to a medium armor till a random number generator gave them another option. It limits them from being a human tank or a light defender. Even though medium carries most of the other armor classes weapons it still limits how effective they are going to do the task they want to do or are best capable of doing. Even finding out what they like to do for that matter.

the other ideas about unlockable cosmetic features seems like a much better superficial layer that would bring in more players. Not a game changing effect like weapons or items that make me want to exploit the system to be on a fair competitive level, like BFBC2, TF2, or even COD:BO.

BFBC2 enter an match to destroy the crates, have a buddy join in, set something heavy on the E key (i think), have him do the same point at crate, walk away from the computer and read a book...

TF2 join an idle Server, leave computer

COD:BO join a hacked server to get a ton of points

and you cant say that this doesn't happen... all for getting unlockable weapons and items that "just open up different approaches to gameplay." which does in fact give a distinct advantage over someone who isn't able to do the same thing and maybe even better.

Unlockable weapons are a bad idea with customizable loadouts, since you can't easily account for underpowered/overpowered combinations, the way you can when you have specific slots like in TF2 (primary, secondary, melee weapons).

If you need some kind of meaningless progression, add achievements, but don't fuck with the base gameplay imo.

f unlocks, you want unlocks go play cod 7 8 9 10. it just wouldnt be right if a guy couldnt get his spinfusor, or a heavy couldnt get his mortar

f unlocks, you want unlocks go play cod 7 8 9 10. it just wouldnt be right if a guy couldnt get his spinfusor, or a heavy couldnt get his mortar

this.

fuck achievements.
fuck unlocks.
fuck everything that makes console games tick.

fuck u hirez you piece of shit. dont fuck up the franchise you gutter slut bimbo

there is nothing wrong with achievements presuming they aren't mandatory. as in, you have to do these to play a certain way.

done well like suggested earlier they could aid in the learning curve as well or at least challenge folks in different ways.

MA 10 flag cappers. Hit 100,500,1000 MAs. Nothing wrong with that type of stuff.

Achievements would have to be implemented carefully, aka something that would happen naturally with time.

If you do the "Get 10 MAs" option, you'll have asshole 15 year olds running around not contributing to the gameplay at all by trying to shoot people in the air and nothing else.

this.

fuck achievements.
fuck unlocks.
fuck everything that makes console games tick.

fuck u hirez you piece of shit. dont fuck up the franchise you gutter slut bimbo

You guys can say this all you want, and I don't necessarily disagree with you, but if we want HiRez to make a Tribes game people actually play...they will have to cater to the current generation of gamers. Otherwise why even bother?

T:A would be just another game with all of 300 people playing. If I wanted that I'll just play T1 or 2.

I know they are probably going to bring in modern shooter innovations like leveling/unlocks. Here's to hoping they do it in a way that won't mess with the spirit of fair competition.

We landed on the moon....I'm pretty sure there's a way to incorporate leveling/unlocks without them ruining the experience.

Achievements would have to be implemented carefully, aka something that would happen naturally with time.

If you do the "Get 10 MAs" option, you'll have asshole 15 year olds running around not contributing to the gameplay at all by trying to shoot people in the air and nothing else.

Eh you already have that in Tribes and always will. On the bright side it makes them better at it so it raises the bar skill wise.

hey i hope they listen to all of ur great suggestions guys cuz this hard to please over 35 player base is their target demographic

Yeah when they are done they are only going to offer this game to people who currently play Tribes. Expect letters in the mail shortly.

EDIT: Dare stop being a fucking douche.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back