Tribes 1.40 & Wine

r00fies

Veteran XV
sop

installed fedora 14, installed wine, got Tribes 1.40 runnin npnpnp except for one problem: my keyboard locks up and stops responding while playing. anyone have 1.40 going under wine with any success? if so, any suggestions on how to fix my keyboard from locking up?

thx pals

Make sure you aren't running the Xen kernel - I've had problems with virtualization not handling the keyboard correctly.

There can be problems with the USB keyboards being grabbed by other processes or USB keyboards getting locked out by another USB device.

Fedora 14 is probably still too beta. I'd get the Fedora 12 respin and try that.

Good luck!

bugs, do you think running tribes in a windows vm in vmware fusions would be fine for a mac

no, for anything. I am opposed to virtualizing anything that is supposed to be real
time, including game clients and game servers. anything that introduces unpredictable
delays will be annoying and frustrating.

now running tribes in a vm for debugging/reversing ok, been there done that, but for
playing no, unacceptable.

the server US Base is on is "dedicated" (I.e. not virtual) whereas the old sh-thole
servers were virtual. I'd guess that the branzone servers are virtual as well. It is OK
and not usually a problem until the hosting provider starts to overbook his VMware
hosts. Then it starts to suck real fast and we would have to move sh-thole to new
digs. I see this "virtualized" lag sometimes on the community and grand central.
Fortunately its never been bad enough to make those guys pull up stakes and find
new digs.

if you play tribes enough you can "feel" the difference between a dedicated and
a virtualized play. the dedicated play just feels "smoother" is the only way that I
know to describe it.

Back