tribe server 1.11 vs 1.30/1.40

Dynamo

Veteran XV
i just play awhile on US base which is 1.11 server and it feel very different than TT/community/arena server. tribe feel much more crisp and responsive which is way i remember it alway feeling b4. ever since i come back 2 tribe 1.40 i notice something feel off w/ my tribe client. i think mb something about new 1.40 server make my tribe client feel slightly laggy or something idk. can any1 explain what cause this or mb i am crazy? ty

its the difference between 1.11 and 1.30 not anything to do with 1.40 (imo)

1.30 much laggy that 1.11 due to anti cheat but also has better netcode (supposedly?)

but 1.30 definitively more bloated than 1.11

1.40 servers have not come out yet or if they have no i not played on them yet but i think it was supposed 2 be more light weight than 1.30 cuz of web browser

There are no 1.4 servers, and 1.3 is just 1.11 with anti-cheat. If you aren't crazy and things actually are different than what they were in the past, it's all clientside. Try downloading a 1.3 config from the stickied resource thread and see how you like it.

Yes it is. The difference between 1.11 and 1.3 is imperceptible. It's a thousand times more likely that he's sensing the huge differences between a 1.4 config and a 1.11 one.

u r talking out ur ass shut up
:rolleyes: The only discussion that came along with 1.3's release is that of the anti-cheat. With 1.4, the discussion was all about the feel of it and the advantage it gave against those running previous versions.

Oh wait. Maybe the servers are still running 350 MHz Pentium IIs. If so, you are probably right. 1.3 is crazy bloated and taxing those machines too much.

scuzzle logically i would think u were right & that i was just imagine it but i play w/ the same 1.40 config in both case. on the 1.11 server it feel much more crisp & responsive. the 1.30 server feel slightly laggy & bloated in comparison. it very strange phenomenon & very noticeable 2 me. i guess would make sense if 1.30 server running some kind of anti-cheating scripts in background tho. idk what else could explain such major difference. any1 beside dare & me notice this? mb not apparent 2 ppl who have hundred of hour played on 1.30 server but my tribe blood still used 2 feel of 1.11 & earlier version.

do not quote me on this but i am pretty sure over the 4 iterations of lasthope anti cheat leading up to 1.30 (from 1.11 to 1.20 etc) that a different netcoding was used in 1.30 from 1.11

also even if that isnt true the amount of anti cheat mechanism put in place in the scripting is going to bloat tribes

2 put this another way

even in 1.11 when u run a mod like TR u can noticeably feel different latency in the way projectiles work and tr is a very very small mod

havoc as well

There are two additional differences between US Base and the other servers.

US Base is a "dedicated" server rather than a "virtualized" server. US Base runs on the bare metal whereas the other servers are typically running within a VMware virtual host. Depending on what else is running on that host - you can get random lag effects. For game server responsiveness virtualization is bad.

US Base is running under the Linux OS. The other servers are usually running on a Windows 2008 server. Its always been my feeling that the TCP/IP stack on Windows is not as zippy as Unix.

So you probably are just noticing a combination of three effects - the absence of the lasthope query overhead, the absence of lag due to virtualization, and the absence of windows tcp/ip stack braindamage.

scuzzle logically i would think u were right & that i was just imagine it but i play w/ the same 1.40 config in both case. on the 1.11 server it feel much more crisp & responsive. the 1.30 server feel slightly laggy & bloated in comparison. it very strange phenomenon & very noticeable 2 me. i guess would make sense if 1.30 server running some kind of anti-cheating scripts in background tho. idk what else could explain such major difference. any1 beside dare & me notice this? mb not apparent 2 ppl who have hundred of hour played on 1.30 server but my tribe blood still used 2 feel of 1.11 & earlier version.

I notice the same thing actually, little things like I hit more bumps skiing, and I just can't seem to generate the same speed and there is a crazy delay on discs.

There are two additional differences between US Base and the other servers.

US Base is a "dedicated" server rather than a "virtualized" server. US Base runs on the bare metal whereas the other servers are typically running within a VMware virtual host. Depending on what else is running on that host - you can get random lag effects. For game server responsiveness virtualization is bad.

US Base is running under the Linux OS. The other servers are usually running on a Windows 2008 server. Its always been my feeling that the TCP/IP stack on Windows is not as zippy as Unix.

So you probably are just noticing a combination of three effects - the absence of the lasthope query overhead, the absence of lag due to virtualization, and the absence of windows tcp/ip stack braindamage.
ty bug_ 4 this informative post this provide good explanation. this bring me 2 further question tho:

1) y not make US base 1.30 server? mb more ppl play there & get advantage of dedicated/unix server.

and

2) what cheat do 1.30 protect against that make it so necessary? is it worth the extra server lag 2 protect against happyflag or are there more serious cheat?

Guys. 1.30 is 1.11 there is no change to the netcode. I'd be surprised if you notice anything. Unless you meant if you are playing on US Base, bugs implemented all kind of weird checks..
1.4 has improved netcode. not really improved.. expanded to allow more items or w/e

bugs does usbase run in wine? I didn't know tribes was made for linux. so you are still running it in some kind of emulation. I don't know what is crappier (even if it was in some kind of VM, vms are very good these days and depending on the hardware and configuration more than sufficient to run tribes

jm5k cant ski fast or disk bc of 1.30 servers not bc hes totally terrible at tribes

do i have this right?

Back