Tribal guitarists....

speaking of drums, i am interested in learning but i'd have to go the electric route due to my living situation. can you or anyone else give me some names of some sets that are great for an intermediate level drummer? I will be playing metal, btw

you could get a taye RockPro kit, and just get some mesh heads, thats what I started using in college, and theyve worked out great.

Taye RockPro is a great kit too. and taye has great prices.

Or get like. a TD-6 Roland Electric kit

Any of the Roland and Yamaha electric kits work great for an intermediate drummer. I'd just stay away from the off-brands like Behringer. It's crap.

Not sure how they do double-kick on an electric kit, though. I wonder if you can hook a double pedal to it.

learn how to play that Time of your Life song by Greenday, Stairway to Heaven, and Nothing Else Matters and 90% of the people you play in front of will think you're like *amazing*

its some of the worst music out there, but the easiest stuff to learn that builds basic fundementals is shitty punk like green day, blink 182, etc.
i started with that shit 9 years ago in middle school, now i'm a guitar performance major and tour with a metal/hardcore band.

pick an easy song and learn it start to finish, practice til you play it perfect everytime, and move on to another song. its without a doubt the best way to build your chops and learn the basics

i go to university of idaho on a music scholarship(jazz and such), and my band's called "my sexy assassin". dumb name i know, but we play kinda experimental hardcore/metal, I don't really even know how to describe it.
check us out myspace.com/mysexyassassin

I never took lessons and i think i'm a pretty good player...
I started out with the same shit everyone did playing open chords and marveling at how awesome it was
Then i realized i was doing nothing and learned the notes, and some theory.
Most effective way i like to think is, start with a C/Am scale and learn it at a few positions on the neck. Get comfortable at it, then when you know all the notes and frets, Think of a certain note in your head, for example, A, and find A on all the positions on the fretboard. Do it with another note, etc. then start learning some other scales. Find some backing tracks online and play scales over them, go download some dylan and play Em Pentatonic over them :p
Some good references for scales and whatnot are http://jguitar.com/
and http://www.mearstech.com/ModeMaster_com/default.htm

Thanks all for all your imput. Someone asked what metal I like so you can tell me what to learn at the start...

Fear Factory
Pantera
Lamb of God
AC/DC
Metallica(old stuff)
Machine Head
Children of Bodom
Some White Zombie and Rob
Rammstein
Slipknot
Soulfly
Sepultura

I like a shit load of other music too like CCR, Aerosmith, Beatles, etc...

I can't wait till the tips of my fingers harden up so I can practice for hours on end. Any realistic tips on speeding up this process?

I'm going to take my guitar to sea when we sail so I'll have lots of time to practice when I'm not home.

Thanks all for all your imput. Someone asked what metal I like so you can tell me what to learn at the start...

Fear Factory
Pantera
Lamb of God
AC/DC
Metallica(old stuff)
Machine Head
Children of Bodom
Some White Zombie and Rob
Rammstein
Slipknot
Soulfly
Sepultura

I like a shit load of other music too like CCR, Aerosmith, Beatles, etc...

I can't wait till the tips of my fingers harden up so I can practice for hours on end. Any realistic tips on speeding up this process?

I'm going to take my guitar to sea when we sail so I'll have lots of time to practice when I'm not home.

First, to get your fingers to harden up: practice for hours on end even if they hurt and/or bleed. :) Trust me.

Second, for the type of music you dig, I'd start with some old Metallica off of Kill 'Em All and Ride the Lightning. Fade to Black is a little advanced, but you should be able to work on the power chord parts of that. Also, maybe some old AC/DC (Back in Black), as well as some old Maiden and Priest stuff - that'll set you up for all the Pantera you're going to want to learn.

Don't be afraid to tackle the more advanced stuff begore you even know what they're doing. A lot of the time, they're doing something simple arranged in a way you haven't played before...and it'll stun you how simple it is!

The revalation for me was the quick lick to "The Spirit of Radio" by Rush.

Go out and get Sal Salvador's book "Six String Studies". Look hard, but you will find it.

Any Real/Fake/Real-Fake book should do you, too. Those will get you going.

Learn theory. A whole bunch of theory.

ALTERNATE PICK

Okay I'm done.

speaking of drums, i am interested in learning but i'd have to go the electric route due to my living situation. can you or anyone else give me some names of some sets that are great for an intermediate level drummer? I will be playing metal, btw

No WAY should you EVER get an electronic kit. Two reasons:

1) They cost way more than the ol' skin and wood drums do. We're talking the regular ol' kits here, not the "Made from a single tree OMG" sets.
2) They just sound worse than acoustic drums to me.

If anything, I'd reccomend Yahama's Stage Custom sets, with a Zildjian 18' crash Cymbal Pack, and some Evans Hydrolic top heads over any sort of clear one-ply. They're amazing sounds that give you a fat, wet tone (but for metal, Remo Smooth White Emperors over any one-ply clear is good stuff, too. Fat but with bite).

Another good set is any real mid to high end Tama, with Evans G1 Genera coated heads. Sabian makes some good bright stuff for metal, too.

With sticks, I'm a Vic Firth man for drumset, but Innovative makes okay stuff, from what I hear. Ahead is good for metal, seeing as they're reinforced with aluminum through the shaft of the stick. Less breakage, no warping, and more momentum to play with, and the added weight brings you a new shell sound unmactched by convential wood sticks (for very heavy sounds)

As far as bass pedals go, the DW series is boss (9000, plz).

Avoid Paiste and Pro Mark. They will be your downfall, I promise.

(/drum speak)

edit: Evans' HQ Percussion company makes drum and cymbal mutes. So does Vic Firth.

sandpaper!

no, really.

If you want to artificially toughen up your fingers, a little sandpaper over your fingertips is supposed to encourage the process. Can't say I ever tried it myself, though.

my early advice:

- learn the the basic chords and practice transitioning between them quickly (A to C, A to D, A to E, etc. then reverse it. practice it all.)

- learn some basic "box" pattern songs (greenday, nirvana, etc) which just move power chords around. smells like teen spirit is a great one to learn first, because it's straightforward and has up and down picking. the smells like teen spirit solo is also a great first solo to learn.

- like someone else said earlier in the thread, the basic stuff in *EDIT NOT MASTER OF PUPPETS enter sandman is a good song to learn right off the bat if you get bored. same with ironman and some other black sabbath songs (paranoid comes to mind as well)

- practice up and down picking moving up and down the strings in order. for instance, with all four fingers starting with pointer, play frets 7-8-9-10 on the fat e sting. then move up a string, pick 7-8-9-10 on a, all the way to high E. Flip a bitch, and go to fat e. Then, do 7-8-9-10 -> 10-9-8-7 on all the strings in order. just stupid stuff like that will develop a good feel for where each string is and get you semi comfortable playing the strings.

good luck

Last edited:
and AC/DC is a great band to start learning songs. most of their bigtimes riffs use really simply chords (e-a-d-g) played in slightly different order or timing

for instance, hwy to hell is basically:
A A A D D G D D G D D G D A A

~prechorus:
E over and over, A A A D D D D G D A A A D D D D G D
etc.

If anything, I'd reccomend Yahama's Stage Custom sets, with a Zildjian 18' crash Cymbal Pack, and some Evans Hydrolic top heads over any sort of clear one-ply. They're amazing sounds that give you a fat, wet tone (but for metal, Remo Smooth White Emperors over any one-ply clear is good stuff, too. Fat but with bite).

I play a set of Yamaha Beech Customs. They have such a nice, dark tone. I even play the G2s you recommend.

For cymbals, I have a pair of Sabian Vault crashes (16/18), a Zildjian A Ping Ride, and some 14" New Beat hats. Oh, and a cute Sabian 10" splash. And the usual Wuhan china.

For pedals I have an Iron Cobra double.

Back