Toshiba Satellite A45-S120 CPU Problem

Dark|Dragon

Veteran X
The A45-S120 started to behave sluggishly. At first I thought it was simply spyware/viruses and I ran removal tools with no luck. I reformatted and installed Windows XP Professional SP2. Same issues, slow performance and DVDs were choppy. I checked the Task Manager and noticed high CPU usage by programs that normally don't use much. Even the Task Manager itself was showing high usage.

I decided to run Full Tests at PC Pitstop which gives you a full performance readout of your PC. The CPU and video scores were very low, 487 for the CPU and 14 for the video. I should've been getting 4000+ and 80+. Disk speeds were normal. I believe the video score was low simply because of the CPU. Also the CPU is not reporting a lower clock speed. I left the computer off for about a half an hour and turned it on and immediatly went to Internet Explorer to run the tests again. This time the CPU/video scores were normal, and the test went a lot faster. I ran the test again, still good performance. I closed IE and browsed through a couple folders, went through the Start menu, and performance was sluggish again. I ran the test one more time and got low scores like the first test. Appears when I start doing real activity the problem starts.

I have taken out the 256MB memory module and put in a new 512MB one, so not a memory problem. The hard drive is running in DMA mode. The BIOS is the latest (1.50) and the CPU settings are set to full power.

I don't believe its overheating, if it is it overheats very quickly. Also I am able to leave the computer on for long periods of time without a crash, which I believe would eventually happen if it was overheating. I won't rule it out though, is there anyway to check if all the fans are working properly? Maybe reseat the CPU in its slot? If someone could let me know how to access it, that'd be great. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated as well. Again this is a fresh install of Windows XP Professional SP2.

I installed some of the Toshiba software. Now a message pops up in Windows saying that there is a problem with the cooling system. Well now I know what is causing the problem.

Back