things to do in hawaii: swim with manta rays

careful cuz they r closely related to da sting ray and will end ur life irwin style

rip steve :<<<

yah its cool, easy to handle and tucks away so you dont have to have it in your hands all the time. but the 33 ft limit cuts out a lot of dives. some people have taken it to 45-50 w/o problems. i had it around 35-38 ft during the manta dive, but for an earlier tank we were at 60+ and i left it on the boat.

Ran into one (well.. had one swim by me) while diving on the Reef last year, didn't have my camera with me though. Awesome sight, definately something to remember. I was hovering at my 5m safety stop on the way back up, looked down and saw it gliding by beneath my fins. Incredible thing.

Okay, true story.

I was boogie boarding off the coast of Kona at a little beach called Disappearing Sands (or Magic Sands) Beach. I was out there, waiting for a good wave, when another guy out there said, "Holy cow!"

I looked all around trying to see what he was talking about, and then something in the water caught my eye. It was a HUGE manta ray swimming right below me. Well, maybe it wasn't freakishly huge, but to me it was freaking huge. Maybe 5-6 feet from wingtip to wingtip.

So that was cool... but that's not the weird part.

About a half hour later, another guy says, "Oh wow!"

I look down into the water expecting to see something else, but I didn't see anything. When I looked around, what I did see was all the surfers and boogie boarders paddling out further into the water. I looked out and there was a HUGE swell coming in. I was in a bad spot for that, so I paddled out as fast as I could.

I made it out far enough and rode over that monster swell. When I was up there, I could see another one coming in and a bunch more behind it.

I watched the big swell turn into a wave. It was BIG. The waves we were riding on beforehand were maybe 4-5 feet. Good size, but not huge. These massive swells were making 10-12 foot waves. The first one broke RIGHT on the sand. People were screaming and running away on the beach.

For the next 20 minutes, huge wave after huge wave kept coming. I was stuck out there with the other guys. There was no way to ride these things since they were breaking on the shore. There was also no way I was going to try to ride a 12 foot wave, no matter where it was breaking.

The guys around me didn't seem too concerned, so I tried not to worry too much about the possibility of being stuck out on the ocean forever.

Then, just as soon as they started, they stopped. The waves went back down to normal. I caught the first one in that I could and got to the beach. Where before it was a nice sandy beach, now about 60% of it was black lava rock. The big waves had eaten away at the beach and the sand had just disappeared! Hence, the name. Probably.

It was a HUGE manta ray swimming right below me. Well, maybe it wasn't freakishly huge, but to me it was freaking huge. Maybe 5-6 feet from wingtip to wingtip.

That's actually pretty small for a Manta. Change that "Feet" to "Meters" and you're getting into 'big manta' territory.

Oh, also to the schmuck that said "watch out!": Mantas have no 'sting' or barbs, and are quite harmless. Unless you're plankton, that is... then you're fucked.

other things to do in Hawaii;

image130.jpg

Back