theres a good reason to go to grad school

Bacardi

Veteran X
since i've started, i've had papers accepted and published to conferences in portugal, jersey (jersey sucks but it was a free trip home to nyc), hawaii.

and just found out today, amsterdam :]

sadly, i had a paper rejected to one in italy :[

waiting to hear from michigan (lol) and beijing

be cool. stay in school

The Apostrophe

Brought to you by the Purdue University Online Writing Lab

The apostrophe has three uses:

1) to form possessives of nouns
2) to show the omission of letters
3) to indicate certain plurals of lowercase letters.

Apostrophes are NOT used for possessive pronouns or for noun plurals, including acronyms.
Forming possessives of nouns

To see if you need to make a possessive, turn the phrase around and make it an "of the..." phrase. For example:

the boy's hat = the hat of the boy

three days' journey = journey of three days

If the noun after "of" is a building, an object, or a piece of furniture, then no apostrophe is needed!

room of the hotel = hotel room

door of the car = car door

leg of the table = table leg

Once you've determined whether you need to make a possessive, follow these rules to create one.

• add 's to the singular form of the word (even if it ends in -s):

the owner's car

James's hat

• add 's to the plural forms that do not end in -s:

the children's game

the geese's honking

• add ' to the end of plural nouns that end in -s:

houses' roofs

three friends' letters

• add 's to the end of compound words:

my brother-in-law's money

• add 's to the last noun to show joint possession of an object:

Todd and Anne's apartment

Showing omission of letters

Apostrophes are used in contractions. A contraction is a word (or set of numbers) in which one or more letters (or numbers) have been omitted. The apostrophe shows this omission. Contractions are common in speaking and in informal writing. To use an apostrophe to create a contraction, place an apostrophe where the omitted letter(s) would go. Here are some examples:

don't = do not

I'm = I am

he'll = he will

who's = who is

shouldn't = should not

didn't = did not

could've= could have (NOT "could of"!)

'60 = 1960

Forming plurals of lowercase letters

Apostrophes are used to form plurals of letters that appear in lowercase; here the rule appears to be more typographical than grammatical, e.g. "three ps" versus "three p's." To form the plural of a lowercase letter, place 's after the letter. There is no need for apostrophes indicating a plural on capitalized letters, numbers, and symbols (though keep in mind that some editors, teachers, and professors still prefer them). Here are some examples:

p's and q's = a phrase indicating politeness, possibly from "mind your pleases and thankyous"?

Nita's mother constantly stressed minding one's p's and q's.

three Macintosh G4s = three of the Macintosh model G4

There are two G4s currently used in the writing classrom.

many &s = many ampersands

That printed page has too many &s on it.

the 1960s = the years in decade from 1960 to 1969

The 1960s were a time of great social unrest.

Don't use apostrophes for possessive pronouns or for noun plurals.

Apostrophes should not be used with possessive pronouns because possessive pronouns already show possession -- they don't need an apostrophe. His, her, its, my, yours, ours are all possessive pronouns. Here are some examples:

wrong: his' book

correct: his book

wrong: The group made it's decision.

correct: The group made its decision.

(Note: Its and it's are not the same thing. It's is a contraction for "it is" and its is a possesive pronoun meaning "belonging to it." It's raining out= it is raining out. A simple way to remember this rule is the fact that you don't use an apostrophe for the possesives his or hers, so don't do it with its!)

wrong: a friend of yours'

correct: a friend of yours

wrong: She waited for three hours' to get her ticket.

correct: She waited for three hours to get her ticket.

since i've started, i've had papers accepted and published to conferences in portugal, jersey (jersey sucks but it was a free trip home to nyc), hawaii.

and just found out today, amsterdam :]

sadly, i had a paper rejected to one in italy :[

waiting to hear from michigan (lol) and beijing

be cool. stay in school

ya,

traveling can be an awesome part of grad school academics. i miss it :(

Within just the last few years I have noticed a tendency among both speakers and writers to ignore the issue of subject-verb agreement when using the construction "there is" or its contraction "there's" to begin a clause. In speech, and now even in a lot of writing, the contracted "there's" is far more common than the full "there is," and I suspect that most people don't quite recognize "'s" as a verb. Consequently, their carelessness over the use of "there's" contaminates even their use of "there is."

I am reminded of the problem with "could've," which is so often incorrectly written as "could of," simply because writers don't recognize "'ve" as the contraction for "have." (See my article on the "could of" error.) I actually believe that in both cases--"there's" and "could of"--the writer, if he actually thought about it, would realize that the contractions are verbs, but who ever thinks these days before writing (or doing anything else, for that matter)?

I miss grad school travelling too. I got to go to London, Hong Kong, Paris, New York and even Terre Haute when I was in grad school.

Yeah, I've been telling people to get the grad degree since we had a few threads here.

Many people get the under grad, and it's expected.

Last edited:
Back