The U.S. should NOT be helping tsunami victims

kharnal said:
income taxes are against the constitution. PERIOD.

The government cannot deprive you of property without due process of law.

edit: income taxes, my bad.

I refer you to this.

AMENDMENT XVI

Passed by Congress July 2, 1909. Ratified February 3, 1913.

Note: Article I, section 9, of the Constitution was modified by amendment 16.

The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration.

Ratification of an amendment take a good amount of people. So most people accepted income taxes.

yes Im sure all the penny pinchers arguing that charity should come from a person instead of the government would be donating lots and lots of money to relief efforts if there were no taxes :lol: :lol: :lol:

JuggerNaught said:
taxes are taken under implied force.

But IRS agents get issued guns just like anyone in law enforcement.

The problem with taxes is if your not careful you could totally fuck yourself and find yourself at age 50 with some dude at your front door telling you hes taking you to jail and confiscating all your property. And I mean all your property, your kids/wife/whoever cant set foot on the property till the issue is resolved without going through the courts.
And that could take months, fuck they wont even let you on to pickup your pets.

Doc Holliday said:
People are immediately ignoring all that and assuming its all racist. The article is talking about the governments right to spend the money it collects from us but everyone is looking at the emtional aspect of it since it refers to the Tsunami relief effot. If he left that portion out and discussed the spending habits without bringing up current events I am sure this arcticle would have created a must more rational debate then the one we are seeing here.
its not very rational to post a thread with a title and article against helping tsunami victims, then argue another point. its misleading and really out of context. this is a disaster, this isnt some poor low-down country down on its luck. completely bad timing. i know im pages late with this, but this thread was a disaster waiting to happen as well with the direction in went.

JuggerNaught said:
and you wonder why it is people balk at the idea of paying taxes?

The problem with government is that it is not profit driven. Therefore, it has more incentive to be political and appeal to those that complain the loudest, rather than act in the best interest of itself & the people.

This is not to say that gov't should be profit driven btw.

Back