The Sweet Potato

TseTse

Veteran X
One of the greatest foods out there. Consider tossing out your usual carb sides (rice, pasta, stuffing, etc) for a motherfucking badass ultra-awesome sweet potato.

baked-sweet-potato-x.jpg

The simplest thing is to just cook one and add butter. Try it with honey, brown sugar or cinnamon for some fresh variations. Once cooked, they last a solid week+ in the frig.

I plop on copious amounts of organic "smart balance" (i.e. fake butter) which keeps it healthy and plugs in omega-3s. The best thing about these bad boys is that you can make a simple, fast meal with them by just microwaving a big sweet potato (8-10mins) while quickly grilling fish or chicken.

chicken breast + sweet potato + another side = fast, simple, ultra-healthy.

One thing on my cooking agenda in the coming week or two is to try making some really thick chicken soup with sweet potato chunks in there.

Amazing nutritional value (potassium, fiber, Vit A, etc) and naturally sweet. :sunny:

1418oyw.jpg

I like to make home made french fries with them, server it with either a homemade aoili (olive oil/mayo/garlic/lemon) or I make this dip 1/2 C mayonnaise, 2 TBS curry, and 2 TBS honey

Good stuff

For the health conscious, you can just zap one of these for like 8 minutes and glob on tons of "smart balance" butter perhaps with a dash of cinnamon.

You can also blend a sweet potato into a hearty soup by roasting, blending, and adding a little milk to a light roux.

I'm very very eager to try some soups. I need a new pot tho. You roast the potatoes a bit first?

I want to make a very thick and creamy chicken & sweet potato soup. :boogie:

Tips on ultra-healthy soup recipes?

try sauteeing sweet potato in olive oil, its so nice

I've honestly never tried just frying them up like that. Will try tomorrow.

Last edited:
Chicken and Sweet Potato Soup - try #1

quickly sauteed 1 large red onion, 3 cloves of garlic in some butter (and extra virgin olive oil)

• thyme
  • oregano
  • parsley
  • black pepper
  • dash of sylvia's hot sauce
  • cumin
  • 1 stick of cinnamon

My mofo flavor packet right there. :ninja

• 5 cans of "no msg" low sodium chicken broth
  • 2 large sweet potatoes

• brought to boil. let simmer for 20 mins or so
  • tossed in some cilantro

im currently without a blender, otherwise i'd have let it cool and put it all in the blender to make it very creamy.

also, i forgot to pull out the cinnamon at this stage, which is best.

• cooked about 2 lbs of chicken on the side. chopped up into bite sized & shredded pieces

i may have to spice up this step a bit, because i literally just tossed chicken into the microwave for 6 minutes and then chopped it up.

• brought broth to boil again, tossed in chicken.
  • added a large bowl of shredded broccoli heads

a pain in the ass, but worth it to break up the broccoli, i think.

• brought entire soup to a boil
  • let simmer for 3-4 minutes
  • added 1 cup organic soy milk

YUMMY
:boogie:

Next time i hope to get it even better and refine exact amounts. I made a shitload of this stuff. I may add scallions. Blending this stuff before adding the chicken and broccoli is going to be amazing.

Im aiming for something like this, but with broccoli.

Other options: dash of maple syrup. dash of nutmeg. carrots. dash of ginger? black beans?

3194.jpg

sweet-potato-soup-1.jpg

Last edited:
Chicken and Sweet Potato Soup - try #1

quickly sauteed 1 large red onion, 3 cloves of garlic in some butter (and extra virgin olive oil)

• thyme
  • oregano
  • parsley
  • black pepper
  • dash of sylvia's hot sauce
  • cumin
  • 1 stick of cinnamon

My mofo flavor packet right there. :ninja

• 5 cans of "no msg" low sodium chicken broth
  • 2 large sweet potatoes

• brought to boil. let simmer for 20 mins or so
  • tossed in some cilantro

im currently without a blender, otherwise i'd have let it cool and put it all in the blender to make it very creamy.

also, i forgot to pull out the cinnamon at this stage, which is best.

• cooked about 2 lbs of chicken on the side. chopped up into bite sized & shredded pieces

i may have to spice up this step a bit, because i literally just tossed chicken into the microwave for 6 minutes and then chopped it up.

• brought broth to boil again, tossed in chicken.
  • added a large bowl of shredded broccoli heads

a pain in the ass, but worth it to break up the broccoli, i think.

• brought entire soup to a boil
  • let simmer for 3-4 minutes
  • added 1 cup organic soy milk

YUMMY
:boogie:

Next time i hope to get it even better and refine exact amounts. I made a shitload of this stuff. I may add scallions. Blending this stuff before adding the chicken and broccoli is going to be amazing.

Im aiming for something like this, but with broccoli.

Other options: dash of maple syrup. dash of nutmeg. carrots. dash of ginger? black beans?

3194.jpg

sweet-potato-soup-1.jpg

thanks sandra lee

you're a homo

use a mandolin and slice them thin (not paper thin but regular scalloped potatoes)

make a layer then cover with gruyere cheese (or white cheddar if you are a faggot)

sprinkle herbs such as oregeno rosemary salt and pepper on top (easy on the salt pal)

add another layer of sweet potatoes onto that and repeat till your baking dish is full

activate 1-2 cups of cream and pour it in

bake at 350-375 for like 40 minutes or until you can easily cut the potatoes

no problem

use a mandolin and slice them thin (not paper thin but regular scalloped potatoes)

make a layer then cover with gruyere cheese (or white cheddar if you are a faggot)

sprinkle herbs such as oregeno rosemary salt and pepper on top (easy on the salt pal)

add another layer of sweet potatoes onto that and repeat till your baking dish is full

activate 1-2 cups of cream and pour it in

bake at 350-375 for like 40 minutes or until you can easily cut the potatoes

no problem

very interesting.

i dont do much dairy, but this could be worth trying out.

what do you mean by "activate" the cream?

You boil it.

You know when it activates because it will suddenly bubble like mad nearly climbing out of the pot...trust me you can't miss it.

Back