The "OverClocking" Thread

CoJack

Veteran XV
Veteran XX
any tech guru's out there with some insights on overclocking? currently looking to OC my rig. any good sites around offering such advice?

current specs:

PSU: ANTEC TRUE CONTROL 550
MB: ABIT AS8
CPU: INTEL P4 3.6 DUAL CORE
RAM: OCZ DDR400 (2GIGS)
VC: BFG ULTRA 6800

mainly looking to OC my cpu and ram. had tried overclocking my videocard with no such luck. gave up kinna quick though. was told there's a registry hack for the nvida control panel that adds a tab for overclocking. tried and never had any such luck...shrugs

heard i could push my cpu to 4.0; question is how. are there 3rd party apps or is this done thru bios? fuck. i'm lost. help a man out!

and i'm certain you can overlcock my ram being its made from OCZ.... so maybe someone knows of this?

thx to those replying!

I wouldn't bother.

Generally you only get like 10% out of overclocking. But your computer is kinda old so you would be lucky to get that. So considering the age isn't not gonna really allow you to do anything much more than you can now. Also with that age and all the dust in there, and new thermal paste being needed, your cooling probably isn't working optimally so you could maim something and then have no computer.

Well, really you should read up on how to do this properly, as it's generally more than just changing a number and pressing F10. Going from 3600 (prolly in a 9x400fsb setup) to 4000 could most likely be done just be going into BIOS and setting your FSB to 444 and saving. Any more and you'll need to start adjusting voltages, and eventually timings.

Most of your shit isn't work OCing at this point though imo :S

Just do what I did when I started; google how to OC your specific parts.

EDIT: My CPU is a Q6600 OC'd to 2800 from 2400 on stock in an Antec900 Case. The cores peak-load at about 60d. I plan on upping to 3k once my new HS/F combo arrive. Vid Card OCs are pointless imo.

Vid Card OCs are pointless imo.

that depends on what your bottle neck is though. If it is vid card, then over clocking it is worth it. My current card runs stable at about 13% overclock. That results in quite a a noticeable frame jump in some games.

But yep i agree on looking and OCing when the parts are new, and reading up and doing it then. Several years later is asking for problems.

i went to college as a machinist. making overclocking equipment is very straightforward. I was going to go with water cooling years ago, then I realized AMD struck my clock at about 1970mhz hard wired.

However there is not a single third generation card that can't be overclocked to my knowledge and you can definetly do business with a watercooler. Personally if I was to do it I'd go with a freon or some other air conditioning based cooling agent that freezes the core to below -25C. That was my plan till AMD pissed me off and I didn't care anymore.

i went to college as a machinist. making overclocking equipment is very straightforward. I was going to go with water cooling years ago, then I realized AMD struck my clock at about 1970mhz hard wired.

However there is not a single third generation card that can't be overclocked to my knowledge and you can definetly do business with a watercooler. Personally if I was to do it I'd go with a freon or some other air conditioning based cooling agent that freezes the core to below -25C. That was my plan till AMD pissed me off and I didn't care anymore.

you're a huge loser

Don't listen to these assholes telling you about getting only a 10% gain or that your computer is so old you'll have catastrophic failure on your hands. Go here: NOS Contingency Decals - JEGS , buy about 15 stickers, and put them all over the case. I promise you'll see huge gains in performance.

if you prayed hard enough, you wouldn't need a cooler. you could just crank the multiplier up no problem. You should give that a shot now.

ya..i'd consider an upgrade, but really, i have no use for it..my current computer handles all my needs just fine. i run battlefield 2 and cod4 at high settings using 1600x1200... and that's all i ask.. untill recently..... when i just picked up cod5...which happens to revolve around the core duo. so i went ahead and ordered a 7950gt to c if i can squeeze another 10fps out of my system. anxiously awaiting. steadily get about 30-50 fps depending on map and number of players. it handles okay for most part. currently using the yitch config for those that play cod. i'd google. it gives a huge improvement in performance. so with the addition of this new card coming, and some tweaking to get my cpu up to 4.0ghz. i'm hoping i could get a good 10-20fps gain .

beren&jm5k- warning! i'll be intouch!

Back