The competition

The gaming industry has been bigger than the movie industry for a long time now. The people who post news at slashdot aren't the brightest of folks contrary to popular belief.

Whether it's true depends on how you define each industry. For instance, do you limit your definition of "Hollywood" to theatrical sales or extend it to include DVD's and merchandising? Which category would you put Tomb Raider or Resident Evil in?

But that wasn't my point. I was just pointing out the hole in the new game list.

Yogi said:
Ah, they proved me right (again)
Then again, what part of the games industry are they looking at? Do they include revenue generated by pay to play games or game rentals? What about direct purchase games off the net or those stupid cellphone and PDA games?

The only really good mesure of which industry is larger is to look at investment dollars. Last time I looked at real investment figures the games industry was ahead by a big chunk.

BitRaiser said:
Then again, what part of the games industry are they looking at? Do they include revenue generated by pay to play games or game rentals? What about direct purchase games off the net or those stupid cellphone and PDA games?

The only really good mesure of which industry is larger is to look at investment dollars. Last time I looked at real investment figures the games industry was ahead by a big chunk.

With a difference of over 10 billion already, I highly doubt the things you mentioned would make it close. An average of $15/month x 12 months/year x say...5,000,000 users (extremely rough guess, but fairly generous) still comes short of a full billion.

And from what I read, the numbers on the video game side include all console system sales as well. So find and add in the dollar amount for all DVD players/VCR's sold this last year, too.

Yogi said:
The people who post news at slashdot aren't the brightest of folks contrary to popular belief.

Coming from Retardpalooza (TM) that is TT, i find this statement very amusing though somewhat surrealist...

Back