The Campus Rape Myth

Smurphy

Veteran X
Remember hearing those stats that said 1 in 4 girls are raped by the end of their college years and thinking "wait, that can't be true"?

The Campus Rape Myth by Heather Mac Donald, City Journal Winter 2008

If the one-in-four statistic is correct—it is sometimes modified to “one-in-five to one-in-four”—campus rape represents a crime wave of unprecedented proportions. No crime, much less one as serious as rape, has a victimization rate remotely approaching 20 or 25 percent, even over many years.

None of this crisis response occurs, of course—because the crisis doesn’t exist. During the 1980s, feminist researchers committed to the rape-culture theory had discovered that asking women directly if they had been raped yielded disappointing results—very few women said that they had been. So Ms. commissioned University of Arizona public health professor Mary Koss to develop a different way of measuring the prevalence of rape. Rather than asking female students about rape per se, Koss asked them if they had experienced actions that she then classified as rape. Koss’s method produced the 25 percent rate, which Ms. then published.

None of the obvious weaknesses in the research has had the slightest drag on the campus rape movement, because the movement is political, not empirical. In a rape culture, which “condones physical and emotional terrorism against women as a norm,” sexual assault will wind up underreported, argued the director of Yale’s Sexual Harassment and Assault Resources and Education Center in a March 2007 newsletter. You don’t need evidence for the rape culture; you simply know that it exists. But if you do need evidence, the underreporting of rape is the best proof there is.

Cliffs:
The 1 in 4 girls will be raped stat is egregiously exaggerated.

Next from the Office of Things No-One Took Seriously In The First Place - a timely rebuttal of the theory of Phrenology!

How do they know it goes unreported?

anonymous self reporting surveys bring light to a large number of crimes that were never reported to the police.

there is also the "dark number" of crime which is an assumed amount based on statistical analysis. crime that is never reported in any fashion but is determined to have occurred.

If a drunken yes is still a no then I think it's rather true. But that probably depends on the location for how much it's enforced.

It says in there that they checked by asking point blank if girls had been raped. They're suffering from post traumatic stress and deny that it happens and lie. It seems like every statistic they give you in college is exaggerated. Like the school tells us that 1 in 4 students has an STD. On the bus I count 1 to aids and giggle.

It says in there that they checked by asking point blank if girls had been raped. They're suffering from post traumatic stress and deny that it happens and lie. It seems like every statistic they give you in college is exaggerated. Like the school tells us that 1 in 4 students has an STD. On the bus I count 1 to aids and giggle.

They're wrong about the 1 in 4 having an STD. It's probably closer to 3 in 4, since HPV is so prevalent and in most cases undetectable.

My sociology professor in college was big on this. I saw him on the news talking about it. I think his specialty was the underreporting deal.

Back