that new shogun show p good

There was a shogun tv series in the 80's with a white leading man, but i dont think it was the same storyline

So, I'm a huge fan of the book (and the author) since the 70s, when the book was published. I got into reading novels even at a very young age, a habit I got from my father. He would always be reading, and when he was done with a book, he'd pass it along to my brother and I. I was reading books like shogun by the 3rd grade.

I've also seen the mini-series from 1980, I even went so far as to buy the DVD set.

So I know the story very well. The 1980s mini-series was actually very close to the book. The acting was really great, especially Toshiro Mifune who absolutely nailed his part.

So, I was kind of curious what this remake was going to be like. I was a bit concerned watching the trailer and seeing things that seemed to imply some woke-ism going on.

There are several female characters that are central to the plot. While they are of the samurai caste, they are not skilled in martial arts. In the trailers I see at least two different women wielding weapons like bad asses. While there were women who fought in battles, and there is nothing inherently wrong with that of course, they weren't in the book, so they don't belong in the show.

In the second episode, for example, Blackthorne's assassin was a maid. That's complete horseshit. The actual assassin in the book was a man, who was similar to a ninja that invaded the castle with the help of Lord Yabu's men. The first series got the story right. In this remake, the change - for no good reason - to a woman just implies being woke.

If they felt they could have gotten away with making Lord Toronaga a non binary black transgender character, they would have. Instead, they are rewriting the female characters incredibly poorly and for no reason.

At least the overall story is fairly intact, but only three episodes in, I'm rather disappointed. Perhaps folks who have never read the book or seen the first mini-series will enjoy it. I just keep having to shout at the TV saying "That didn't happen" or "That is not how that occurred in the book".

Not really woke, if at all so far. The assassin isn't a Mary-Sue or Girlboss level badass. She mostly murders the defenseless or unsuspecting and when confronted by an actual armed and prepared adversary, she is outmatched. She's discovered almost immediately and forced into a dash through the house to hastily reach her objective, and ultimately fails in the end. If it were more woke, she would have been shown to outwit everyone, successfully snuck through the residence undetected, overpowered all the male house guards with ease and almost killed her target, before being confounded by some random stroke of misfortune on her part at the very last moment.

I can't speak to the accuracy of the adaptation, I haven't read the books. However, I can understand how recognizing all the deviations from the source material can be jarring or off-putting. I imagine it is the same with how I felt watching Starship Troopers in theaters, having read the actual book and recognizing all of the liberties taken with the source material ... though it sounds like Shogun isn't nearly as bad as that was. There is a huge cult following for the movie adaptation who love the film for its campy portrayal, but it is a different world than the one presented in the original novel.

Amida Tong | Villains Wiki | Fandom

Why change that to a maid? Wouldn't it be more dramatic as portrayed in the book (and original mini-series)?

That's why that particular part of the story was so stupid in the new show. Changed for no reason, and actually made the story weaker.

This is just one example out of many changes they made that make no sense.

So, I'm a huge fan of the book (and the author) since the 70s, when the book was published.

I've also seen the mini-series from 1980

Same and same. I know James Clavell wrote the book-- that was one of my first times reading literature for pleasure.

Richard Chamberlain starred in the television series, if I recall. I don't know what the heck drugs he was on that possessed him to do the cheesy Grade B action movies King Salomon's Mind (Mine? Mines) or something, and Alan Quartman or whatever it was after Shogun. Shogun and Roots were America's first foray into television that was worth watching.

I certainly can't speak to the creative decisions for altering various elements of the source material.

I'm sure somebody, somewhere, has their reasons.

read the whole bible, many times

doesn't know what king solomon's mine is

seems legit

Back