Texture Problems

MetaBeta

Veteran XX
(I originally posted this on a forum for Call of Duty:United Offensive)

I just installed CoDUO on a computer I built last August and am having terrible texture glitches.

First, some info; basic computer specs are:
Asus a8n-sli mobo
amd athlon64 3000+
evga geforce 6800gt 256mb
2gb pc3200 corsair-xms ram

Here is a screenshot of the problem: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v722/MetaB72/textureprob.jpg

This problem has been present in various forms on atleast one game since I first built my computer, but it was so rare that I thought nothing of it. Now I'm getting this in most, if not all of my games including CoD2, UO, Halflife2 and slightly in Civ4 and Battlefield2.

The problems arise after some amount of play time, which originally led me to think it was heat, but after rearranging airflow, fan positioning and monitoring tempuratures I do not believe the problem is related to overheating.

It isn't drivers (most likely) since I'm using the newest ones (81.XX is the version I think).

Within UO though, I've noticed that this problem most often arises after the shellshock effect is used, though that isn't the only way it begins. The problem remains on screen for a random amount of time though; sometimes it dissapears with another shellshock effect, or after looking at the ground/sky, or never.

Other games have flickering of the skyboxes, sometimes half the screen will experience stretching, tearing and odd triangles/polygons while the other half will be fine, others will have texture bleeding, flickering dots, etc...

I've changed Vsync, resolution, refreshrate, texture size, AF & AA and still can't find a solution.

I'm at a loss now as for what to do, so any input yall have would be appreciated. Since this problem happens now in almost all of the games I use (with increasing amounts of occurance), I'm suspecting that my video card is just prematurely dying out.

Thanks for your help, and let me know what yall think.

I'd absolutely make certain that's not heat before you rule it out. That definately looks like a heat problem.

Agreed. Make sure all the fans are running and the VGA heatsink is making proper contact with the GPU. You may also want to open up the case and put a table fan next to it to maximize airflow.

Okay, I'll check it out again, just to see if I was getting correct readings.

As an FYI for myself though, about what tempurature (ambient and core) is normally expected for a GPU to be at? I've heard from some people that it shouldn't top 70C, but from others that they have normal function at and even above that tempurature.

Depends a lot on the card. I have a 6600GT and the default warning is set to 145 °C (though that is insanely high).

80-90 °C is still normal imo, but things may get messy above 100.

I havn't seen my card top 77C under a full load so far, and the ambient seems to be around 55C under the same conditions.

That's why originally I wasn't thinking it was heat b/c that seems to be low enough for me.

:(

Guess I'll try some things with the side panel off just to be sure.

Just wondering, how are you measuring those temps? There is the slight chance that the card's temp sensor is broken.

Yea, I'm using my card's temp. sensor under the desktop properties -> advance -> 6800 gt tab.

The room that I'm using my computer in is pretty cold, lower 70s, high 60s. The case has 2 exhaust fans (one rear, one top) and two intake (front and side). The side mounted fan is approximately over the processor/ram, just above the video card.

Back