test drove an a4.

loop

Veteran XX
it was really, really hard to not buy it on the spot. it beat EVERYTHING i've driven in its price range.

I've driven the CC and Passatt, the Mazda 6, Ford Taurus, Subaru Legacy... All of them fell way short even at similar specs. I was especially surprised by the CC- while REALLY quick, it didn't have the luxuriousness or the absolute dead quiet on the highway. None of the cars felt glued to the road like the a4 did, either.

Anyone have any suggestions for a car in the same basic style? I haven't gotten to BMW yet - I'll probably drive some of the 3 series next weekend. My budget is 30-40k, though I can go up to 50 without hurting TOO badly if I fall in love.

The Subaru Legacy is the only thing on your list that is worth anything. You could drive it into a wall at 60 mph and it would still get you home fine. Meanwhile, the jerkoff who bought the Audi is broken down on the side of the highway, probably about to get raped by some hobo maniac for invading his territory.

The Subaru Legacy is the only thing on your list that is worth anything. You could drive it into a wall at 60 mph and it would still get you home fine. Meanwhile, the jerkoff who bought the Audi is broken down on the side of the highway, probably about to get raped by some hobo maniac for invading his territory.

Indeed, the main criteria for purchasing a car should always be the "I've just driven my car into a wall at 60 and I'm keen to find out if i'm still alive" test. Ask your dealer if you can do this on the test drive. If he says no, he's got something to hide.

Subaru's are the ugliest pieces of shit and remind me of fast and the furious. If you're going to spend 40-50k on a car, you should have enough to pay for maintenance or don't buy a 40-50k car. Too many morons over extend themselves when they don't make any money.

I don't really understand why you would spend $40 - $50k on a car unless you could just pay for that in cash and not worry about.

That's never made any sense to me.

Subaru's are the ugliest pieces of shit and remind me of fast and the furious. If you're going to spend 40-50k on a car, you should have enough to pay for maintenance or don't buy a 40-50k car. Too many morons over extend themselves when they don't make any money.
What's the last Subaru you saw? A 2005 WRX? The new Legacy model is classy.

I agree with the rest of what you said.

I don't really understand why you would spend $40 - $50k on a car unless you could just pay for that in cash and not worry about.

That's never made any sense to me.

That's not a concern to me at all. :) I've worked very hard to get where I am financially and I want a car I love instead of one I just... drive. I won't be taking on much debt even on a 50k car, but I'd obviously love to spend less if possible.

is250 > a4

but is350 is better

Ooo. Haven't even touched Lexus. Good call.

I dunno - seems to me that in the last few years, Audi's been doing MUCH better than they were in the 90's and early 2000's. The build quality on the a4 I drove was spectacular. Everything was very, very tight. The Legacy is NICE, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't feel like it's even in the same class as the Audi. (tho i will say I drove the WRX STI for shits and giggles - and they're just as fun as I thought they'd be :)) Also, my brother has a legacy from 2008ish, and he does love it- but it's a boring car to me.

OH also, there was an R8 in the garage at the dealership getting detailed. I'd never seen one up close before - and HOLY fuck. that's a gorgeous car. Anyone wanna loan me 150k? pretty please? :)

the Legacy is like a 20k car dude

oh and:
I disagree. I dig the direction Subaru's been going. And if you don't handle the maintenance on ANY new car, you're a fucking moron. I'm religious about that stuff and get to know the dealers' mechanics as well as I can. I was REALLY good friends with the Toyota master mechanic near me (from before I drove a Toyota in the first place), so I've found that just being decent to them and asking good questions is always a good thing. Plus, they're much more likely to throw you at a good loaner car if you need one rather than the 1999 tercel sitting in the back lot.

Doesn't matter how good Audis feel during a test drive. It's a VW, which means that, inside of 5 years, you'll end up on the side of the road with something major.

I own an A4. I got one totaled on me, and drove a bunch of other cars.. before buying another A4. I completely understand what you mean.

If I had to suggest one similar car that I also considered... It would be the Infiniti G35x/G37x.

I own an A4. I got one totaled on me, and drove a bunch of other cars.. before buying another A4. I completely understand what you mean.

If I had to suggest one similar car that I also considered... It would be the Infiniti G35x/G37x.

Ooo. Another good suggestion. Haven't driven those yet.

it was really, really hard to not buy it on the spot. it beat EVERYTHING i've driven in its price range.

I've driven the CC and Passatt, the Mazda 6, Ford Taurus, Subaru Legacy... All of them fell way short even at similar specs. I was especially surprised by the CC- while REALLY quick, it didn't have the luxuriousness or the absolute dead quiet on the highway. None of the cars felt glued to the road like the a4 did, either.

Anyone have any suggestions for a car in the same basic style? I haven't gotten to BMW yet - I'll probably drive some of the 3 series next weekend. My budget is 30-40k, though I can go up to 50 without hurting TOO badly if I fall in love.

Test the all wheel drive XI 3 series if you're comparing it to an AWD audi. You'd be better off in the long run if you're not leasing it to go with the BMW. Less problems.

the Legacy is like a 20k car dude

He must be thinking of the Impreza WRX STI at just under 40k, which would leave that A4 and any BMW 3 series in the dust every single time.

The Legacy GT isn't as impressive. Its more like a souped up sedan than the beastly STI.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter how good Audis feel during a test drive. It's a VW, which means that, inside of 5 years, you'll end up on the side of the road with something major.

A4's haven't been built on VW chasis's in about four years...

Edit: The last platform Audi and VW shared was the B7. Audi uses B8 now.

Last edited:
Back