[Tech] Wireless issue

thedrummingfish

Veteran XV
ok, so i just moved into a new apartment, and im on the opposite side of the house as the router and a cable wont reach all the way over to my room, so i bought a wireless card. well, it connects fine, and the signal strength is always at very good or excellent, but i lose the connected pretty much every 5 minutes or so and have to wait for it to reassign me a network address before i can keep surfing. this has pretty much put gaming on hold and its really pissing me off. so what could be the cause?

Most likely another wireless network interfering or something if you are in an apartment building, playing with the channels should help.

or just any other channel

just any other channel won't necessarily do it.

1 6 and 11 have no frequency overlap with any other channels, where as any other channel does. So if a phone is using channel 5, you can still get interference if you're using 4.

Check the details of your wireless card and router. If it's occurring at regular intervals, it's probably a WPA security feature.

I had a similar problem a long time ago, was due to the service 'Wireless Zero Config'. If what you just tried doesn't work, try turning that off.
Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services. It's at the bottom.

Back