[Tech] Which music player to use?

Arcanox

Contributor
Veteran X
I'm doing some work with some programs that are eating my memory (and HDD) for breakfast. As a result, I'm looking at some music players that are a little more memory efficient and not entirely bloated.

A lot of people have mentioned Foobar, but I can't stand it's interface for sorting music, artists and albums. If there's something that has a decent interface for navigating artists like Winamp, I might give it a try.

Are there any decent programs that have come out that might not be as well known?

I stopped using Winamp when it kept crashing on this machine whenever I plugged in my mp3 player. I started using Media Monkey and it's ok now that I have it set up how I want. As far as memory concerns I don't have any idea how it stacks up.

foobar can be completely customized to be more idiot friendly if you desire

Which skins do you specifically use? They're a pain in the ass because some of the older ones aren't compatible with new builds. Also the recent build I got tends to crash when it switches tracks after playing a long music set (anything over 20 minutes seems to crash it).

I don't know. I haven't really used anything in a while, since I just normally listen to sites like Last.FM or stream to my 360. I had a pretty good setup a long time ago though.

Back