[tech]Weird speaker problem - paging all audiophiles

Razer

Contributor
Veteran X
I'm getting this strange problem with my new Logitech z5500 5.1 speakers, and it's really bugging the shit out of me. I was hoping someone knowledgeable about speaker systems could offer some advice.

Basically, I've been getting a lot of "pops" in the subwoofer. Every so often, the subwoofer will let out a loud thud when there's no input and it shouldn't be making any noise. This has occurred with the decoder on the Optical input, as well as on the RCA stereo input.

I think it might be related to my dryer, somehow. The stereo system is in my bedroom, which is about 5 feet from out laundry area (through a wall, of course.) Obviously, the dryer is on a separate circuit, because it runs on 220 volts. However, it's an old dryer, and when it starts up it can cause the lights throughout the house to dim for a split second. The house is only about 8 years old, so the wiring is all modern.

I'm thinking that the problem has to be related to power fluctuations. The subwoofer acts as a hub for this speaker set, and it supplies the power to the rest of the system. The problem occurs whether the subwoofer is plugged into the wall, or plugged into a surge protector.

Any ideas? This problem is driving me crazy, and these pops are loud enough that I'm concerned they could damage my brand new, less than a week old, $200 surround system.

hi

try moving the system to another house.

if the sub still thumps with no input... its the sub.

if there are no thumps then try another computer to see if your system is causing problems. if the sub thumps it is the sub. if it doesnt it is your system causing problems.

if the dryer is not on it will not affect the power and cause a drop...

could also be a capacitor or ground problem with in the sub.

you dont need a audiophile you need a engineer ;)

Back