tech help: HD not reading

At0mic said:
It's not fixed, that was a different atomic (close username). I'll keep ya updated this afternoon to see if it works (def trying PSU before all that other junk :p)
try invar's suggestion first.

then shoot powdahound in the fucking face.

If the PSU doesn't fix it, don't be surprised if that second mobo has the same problem as the first.

iNVAR said:
Check jumper settings. Is there one for cylinder limitation that's been set? Is your BIOS detecting the translation mode (LBA, CHS, Large) properly? Because that WILL affect things big time. It's probably set on Auto. To see if it's properly being detected, you have to hit pause at the BIOS display screen right before the Windows XP boot screen covers everything up. It SHOULD be LBA but if it detects it as something else, you might have to force it to one of the others (Large, CHS) in order to read the data off that you already have.

Afterwards, I would delete the partition, reboot, set it to LBA (FORCE IT... don't pick auto), repartition, format. Reboot, set it back to auto, and check to see if it auto-detected properly as LBA now.

It is on Auto. I hit delete and bring it to bios right away each time. How do I check to see which translation mode it is reading?

At0mic said:
It is on Auto. I hit delete and bring it to bios right away each time. How do I check to see which translation mode it is reading?

How would I check to see which translation mode it is currently detecting? :)

To see if it's properly being detected, you have to hit pause at the BIOS display screen right before the Windows XP boot screen covers everything up. It SHOULD be LBA but if it detects it as something else, you might have to force it to one of the others (Large, CHS) in order to read the data off that you already have.
practice hitting pause right before the windows boot screen. if you pause too early, hit enter and then pause again REALLY fast.... keep doing that until you see the screen.

Yoda said:
People generally slack when it comes to buying powersupplies and cases, all they see is "400W" or "500W" powersupply and assume they are all equal :shrug:
Right, but mine is an Antec True Blue 480W and the other computer has the Antec Neo Power 480W.
Everything was working fine for months, then my video card went out and I thought it was the card. So I change the molex connectors around and it comes back.
On my other computer, sometimes it won't boot up unless I disconnect one of the fans, boot it, then reconnect the fan.
I have a brand new 550W PS sitting on the shelf now. Funny, now that I have the extra PS, the computers are working fine. Go figure.

Invar,

I don't get to the windows boot screen (if I'm thinking of the same screen you are). I get a boot disk error before the windows xp screen comes up. I do have a large Abit screen popup just after turning the system though (haven't taken it off yet).

Honestly, I don't think your problem is translation if the PC doesn't see the drive at all. If translation was the problem you would at least see something on auto.

this is the normal xp boot screen: http://photos5.flickr.com/6021141_80cbfa9ab7_m.jpg
it's before that.

edit: wait, so the BIOS isn't autodetecting the drive as being connected AT ALL?

edit2:
Wont show up in bios, wont boot to windows because it can't read the HD. Disk boot error, please insert system disk.
damn, i missed the "wont show up in bios" part.... yeah it's not a translation problem then.

Vlasic said:
We're right back at the power supply being the only realistic possible culprit left.

Another hour and a half and I can test it out. It's seeming more and more like the possible solution, which would make it extremely nice. I'll keep ya updated, if you guys come up with anything else, please let me know. Thanks again for all of the help

Back