Tech Help: DSL problems

Blitzkrieg

Veteran XV
Anyone here work for DSL/phone company? I've been having a lot of DSL issues for about a month and lately, it's becoming unbearable. I keep on losing connection. I called my DSL company and they sent me loaner modem and all, nothing is working. Sometimes my router can grab an IP from my DSL modem, sometimes it cannot.

I have a simple ZOOM bridge modem, no SBC's screwy PPoP crap. My ISP said maybe I have too much activity. I ran spyware/virus/trojan scans, nothing, nada and the biggest bandwith might be a game called EVE but that's it.

I would like to have a more stable connection, all these trouble really started back around November, when it was starting to get cold around here. Will that affect DSL?

thanks

1) have them run a line test
2) access your dsl modem's config page and look for the transceiver stats and paste them here.

Lines are all filtered, including the one from our satellite TV box :)

I was told they're contacting the phone company to send out a tech. They ran some tests and said my connection is fine (when I had IP). They witness my random drops during one of my support calls.

It's just frustrating, I've done everything I could, including upgrade my router's firmware (Linksys WRT54GS V2 to latest firmware), no spyware/trojan/bot running. It's frustrating when I can't count on my internet connection :(

That's what you get for going into BOB-controlled space. Their reach is long and merciless.

I got rid of my router and did it with just my laptop hooked up to the DSL modem. My laptop couldn't get an IP. My ISP cleared their database so my laptop can grab an IP (since they track mac address or something). It's still the same problem, sometimes I can grab IP, sometimes I can't.

I tried eveyrthing I can think of, direct connection (it scares me not to be behind a router but I did it), via router, via different router (used netgear RO something). Nothing is giving me a stable connection. wireless or wired, it doesn't matter, it's hosed.

Gillie: I can't play even now as a result. I've set to long term skill training :(

I got rid of my router and did it with just my laptop hooked up to the DSL modem. My laptop couldn't get an IP. My ISP cleared their database so my laptop can grab an IP (since they track mac address or something). It's still the same problem, sometimes I can grab IP, sometimes I can't.

I tried eveyrthing I can think of, direct connection (it scares me not to be behind a router but I did it), via router, via different router (used netgear RO something). Nothing is giving me a stable connection. wireless or wired, it doesn't matter, it's hosed.

Gillie: I can't play even now as a result. I've set to long term skill training :(
I haven't played in 5 months. I'm just fuckin with ya ;)

1) have them run a line test
2) access your dsl modem's config page and look for the transceiver stats and paste them here.

I don't have access to my dsl modem config page :(

They ran line test and said it was fine. They said my noise level is good for my speed (I have 6mb download speed). I think it was around 7x% or something.

There must be a bad physical connection somewhere.

Is everything nice and tight where the phone line is demarced into your house? Sometimes those connections can corrode and cause noise problems, which may or may not be detectable by the ISP and since it's on premisis, it's your responsibility.

Edit: I have also seen faulty filters cause connection problems. disconnect all filters/phones and see if the problem is resolved. If so, reconnect everything one-by-one to find the flakey filter.

Last edited:
Sounds like your DSL might be intermittently losing sync, have they seen a solid connection the entire time? Does the DSL light stay on the entire time?

Margins of 7db aren't all that great if that's what you are talking about, it might work but you want something more like 10db for stability.

Hmm, we have a new house, about 3 years old and the lines should be fine inside.

My link light stays solid. Everytime I lose internet connection, I have no IP. That is the only consistent thing :( That is why I don't think it's my end anymore but something is really screwed up between my DSL ISP and phone company.

Heck, my ISP had to clear their database since for some reason, my router was listed as my laptop or something. Something is pretty screwed up somewhere that prevents me from getting and hold onto my IP consistently, regardless if I use my computer to connect to my DSL modem directly or using a router.

HAHAHAHAHA
UR...I got it.
How's the bike?
How many miles?

bikes great!
just had some warranty work done on it, valve guide seals blew, fouled plugs.
running great now! since i've been working up off the 91 and euclid, i had to go buy a windshield for the ride. $360 frikkin bucks
15k on her now.
oh and i wear all my shit now, including armored jacket! :p

Back