[Tech][Geek Squad] Data Recovery?

MistaKe

Veteran X
I have an external hard drive (probably about 3+ years old, Western Digital) that recently crapped out. I tried one of those free data recovery programs (PC Inspector File Recovery 3.0) with no luck so I'm about to say fuck it and just take it to some professionals. Has anyone here used Geek Squad for something like that? Prices for data recovery are ridiculous so I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any other alternatives out there (whether a cheaper, professional one or another program or something) or if it's really worth the money? Here's some information on the Geek Squad service, prices are as expected:

Geek Squad Data Recovery Service - Hard Drive Data Recovery

Some other things to know about Geek Squad’s Professional Data Recovery service are:

• The initial diagnostic fee at the store for hard drives is $59.99. Data recovery for hard drives starts at $259.99 but depends on the difficulty or severity of issues found.
• The initial diagnostic fee at the store for flash media is $39.99. Data recovery for flash media under 32 GB starts at $129.99** (including diagnostic fee) and $199.99** for over 32 GB.
• Because we want to be thorough in our recovery, timing may vary, but our Agents will be in contact with you throughout the process to ensure you are well informed.
• Geek Squad can generally recover data on PCs, external hard drives, disks, tapes, CDs, or flash media (memory card or USB flash drive) cards.

Thanks in advance, TW.

The Geek Squad as experts... :rofl:

You just restore your files from your backup backup drive. Since drives are so cheap, only an idiot wouldn't have 2.

The first real problem is if it has a mechanical problem. If it's mechanical (whirrr-clink), then the likelyhood of Geek Squad being able to recover it is pretty minimal, since the kind of data recovery centers that actually take the platters out in clean rooms cost THOUSANDS.

Use GetDataBack -- Data Recovery Software - Hard Drive Recovery - RAID Recovery - Runtime Software - I had a hard drive that would not seek at BIOS, but the BIOS still recognized it. I went into Windows and the volume was recognized, just not accessible. I ran GetDataBack and it took SEVEN days to recover all that data because the drive was seeking like 10k per second, because the head and motor were malfunctioning. However, I got every piece of data back that I wanted to keep. It is truly an excellent (though one-time expensive) program.

they have no idea what they're doing. take it to a local shop and make sure you get a quote. chances are they won't be able to read it, and they'll say it needs to be sent to ontrack or another data recovery service. you can't afford it so don't bother.

You think that's pricey? REAL professionals (Geeksquad will just use software to try to recover like you did) will run you in the thousands.

so you're going to pay them 60 bucks for them to tell you your hard drive is physically dead?

i will do that for you for 50$

I'm under the assumption it only works when there's a mechanical problem. Like bearings wearing out or whatever. Wont work if the controller card is fried, or data corrupted or anything on the software side.

i have never seen this work. i have seen it attempted a few dozen times over the last few years.

i have had this work about half the times i've tried it ... maybe 4/8 times
used to do computer forensics

the idea is the read/write heads aren't making contact with the drive. the cold contracts the metal, which may help them touch. It works both ways actually, I got one drive to work by placing it on the dashboard of my truck in summer. So it definitely works, but only if that's the actual problem.

Last edited:
The first real problem is if it has a mechanical problem. If it's mechanical (whirrr-clink), then the likelyhood of Geek Squad being able to recover it is pretty minimal, since the kind of data recovery centers that actually take the platters out in clean rooms cost THOUSANDS.

Use GetDataBack -- Data Recovery Software - Hard Drive Recovery - RAID Recovery - Runtime Software - I had a hard drive that would not seek at BIOS, but the BIOS still recognized it. I went into Windows and the volume was recognized, just not accessible. I ran GetDataBack and it took SEVEN days to recover all that data because the drive was seeking like 10k per second, because the head and motor were malfunctioning. However, I got every piece of data back that I wanted to keep. It is truly an excellent (though one-time expensive) program.

It's not a clicking noise which is why I think I still have hope. I plug it in and it basically just sits there and seeks - the green status light doesn't flicker or anything. This is my first time dealing with a crashed external HD (I've had my internal go once or twice before), I'll definitely give that program a shot - I appreciate the link, Skyler.

Thanks for all the other eplies as well.

i have had this work about half the times i've tried it ... maybe 4/8 times
used to do computer forensics

I'm guessing that the times it worked, the hard drive would have worked given enough chances. freezing it was just a coincidence.

I've done data recovery on hundreds and hundreds of drives over the last few years.

I'm guessing that the times it worked, the hard drive would have worked given enough chances. freezing it was just a coincidence.

I've done data recovery on hundreds and hundreds of drives over the last few years.

yeah but did you freeze these hundreds and hundreds of drives?
i don't think you did!

yeah but did you freeze these hundreds and hundreds of drives?
i don't think you did!

like i said, i have seen it attempted numerous times with no positive results. it seems that, as a last resort, it does nothing. because it does nothing.

if you just freeze it because omg bad hard drive, then yeah, it will probably "work"

I broke a pin on an internal drive ive used as an extrenal for years.

All my downloaded music on it, I was buying myself a real extrenal come break too.

I got owned pretty much.

if it powers on but wont spin up or clicks, try holding it sideways, and slam the thin side on a solid desk. Not like hulk smash hard but a good solid whack...this can get the head moving again if it is stuck. Its usually only good for one more spinup though so be ready to copy your data off, or run GetDataBack if needed.

if its a bad circuit board, find a new drive of the same model and swap the boards.

Noted.

I'm gonna have to try this

Back