[TECH] Can I plug my HDD into a different SATA port?

OriGiNaL

Contributor
Veteran XX
I'm buying a SSD and going to be installing windows on it. However I have the current windows install I'm using on a conventional HDD. The way my motherboard is setup (Asus Maximus III Formula) there is one SATA port that is specifically recommended for the hard drive (for some fucked reason). So my question, can I just unplug my original HDD from the SATA port, plug it into another one and have it boot windows fine? This way I can plug the SSD into the SATA port that the HDD is currently plugged into.

Forgive my newbness

Thank you. I was worried because I know you can't take an HDD, plug it into a completely different motherboard and have it boot properly (so I've heard). I wasn't sure if I could plug it into a different SATA port on the same board.

But you say yes, so I will trust you and move forward.

Hopefully this isn't another sandpaper situation.

no, plugging a HD into any port other than the recommended port will fry your mobo. don't listen to lamb though

if you're a fucking idiot about it then yeah it'll fry your mobo. as long as you do it while it's turned on you should be ok though

Ok, fuck, here we go. Do I plug it into the fucking port or not? I'm confident it won't fry anything :lol: I'm really only worried it won't boot.

if you're a fucking idiot about it then yeah it'll fry your mobo. as long as you do it while it's turned on you should be ok though

wait, wtf... how the fuck could it fry the board? obviously I won't be doing this with power going to the system. maybe I should call geek squad and pay them $300 to plug my SSD in.

if the comp is turned off then the current that's not moving since it's not turned on will jump from the sata cord to a capacitor and fry your shit

do it turned on

yes you'll probably need to call geek squad to do this. it's cheaper to do that thank to risk frying your $300 mobo and what $200 SSD

You will not be able to boot into Windows on your old drive once it is moved without altering the boot.ini. Once you install Windows on the new drive, you can edit the boot.ini to configure dual-boot to either drive. If you only want to have the old drive there as a backup or to grab data off of, don't worry about it. Install the new drive as you laid out, install Windows, and you're set.

You must do it with the power on otherwise it won't auto config the new drive and you will get IRQ/BIOS errors.
It won't fry it as long as you earth yourself by touching an empty ram slot while you do it.

Also, make sure you unplug all the case and CPU fans before your start so you don't lose a finger.

You will not be able to boot into Windows on your old drive once it is moved without altering the boot.ini. Once you install Windows on the new drive, you can edit the boot.ini to configure dual-boot to either drive. If you only want to have the old drive there as a backup or to grab data off of, don't worry about it. Install the new drive as you laid out, install Windows, and you're set.

Thanks.

I have one of the Windows 7 Professional DVDs that was offered to college students. It says "upgrade DVD". I've read online that it does in fact have all the files of the conventional Windows 7 Pro DVD. Will it be bootable though? If not, can I boot with another "copy" of windows 7 and then put in my "upgrade" dvd?

yea, i just mean if its like a huge performance boost or just a decent one

i've read mixed reviews on those v-series but they seem to be the best bang for the buck

Back