Taking dumpster diving to the next level

I know this is ofn by a day.

When Brian McGuinn got married to his wife over five years ago, he never imagined that her 1.5-carat, $10,000 diamond engagement ring would end up in a landfill.

But that's exactly what happened on the night of October 30, when McGuinn accidentally tossed out the custom-designed platinum ring in the bathroom trash -- along with his disposable razor.

After realizing his mistake, McGuinn called the nearby Wheelabrator dump in Pompano Beach, where 2,250 tons of solid waste is processed each day. Wearing a mask, thick leather gloves, a hard hat and a full protective suit, he waded through nine tons of garbage and 10-foot high piles of rotting trash -- determined to retrieve the ring himself.

Although it seemed impossible at the time, McGuinn kept on: "I had a fighting chance," he told the Miami Herald. And 90 minutes later, McGuinn miraculously found the treasured ring -- covered in disgusting black sludge, but still intact.

After getting the ring thoroughly cleaned at the jewelers, Brian McGuinn drove to the office where his wife, Anna McGuinn, worked -- and slipped the ring back on her finger. "It was unbelievable," his wife said. "I'm never taking it off again."

Husband Searches Through Garbage Dump To Find Missing Wedding Ring

My buddy threw out his Lacrosse state championship (~$300) ring at Taco Bell, he put it on his tray while he was eating and threw it out. Never found it in the dumpster.

It was basically a free class ring and a bad ass trophy.

Back