T3 movement ideas

Wings/gliding... like in OutWars?

outwars.jpg

Gliding in my mind equals T2 floaty feeling. I can't get rid of that perception, so I can't comment.

afterburn - YES - kind of like a no damage dj would be cool - combine with a dj and look out

anything for more control, movement variation - YES

faster run - yep - would help to get skiing speed started and better dj launch - can't be tooooo fast to control inside base movemen

man i havent played outwars forever....fun game....oh yeah and about the free jet movement....just doesnt seem like a good idea to me....unless it was slow...so when you fire at a guy he just doesnt jet off in whatever direction to miss by an insane amount

interesting ideas indeed, maybe you could solve the control problem by having a key that you hold in (control for instance) and then switch to a mode where you can change the jet direction instead of your viewing direction. I dunno how effective that would be, especially in tight situations - But i dont really see other solutions tbh.

Gliding sounds like a fun idea, maybe make it a little more effective than you lay it out to be and make it a pack - an alternative energy pack kinda. I could see it beeing interesting with HO for instance.

Air brakes sounds like a good idea, but im having a hard time imagining exactly how you want it done. How much they stop you and how. Using jetpack energy or some boosts you can "fire" with limited ammunition?

Natural said:
-Full freedom of flight direction (allow jetting in pure horizontal plane and jetting downwards)

-Air brakes (slow working)

-Gliding equipment? (How, with all this flying, did we never consider adding some flaps to our armpits?)

EDIT: More for landing than flying... limitations on jetpack use during/after gliding. I'm not supporting it but it's interesting to think about =)
use ur right mouse button
-Energy afterburner (i.e. use all player energy for a quick burst,delay for energy to begin replenishing)
play renegades

-Faster run speed
learn to ski

-Allow players to shed armor (Heavy->medium->light... make it take time and not be quite as good as the pure version).
small maps with quick action should not allow time for this. can u imagine an entire server of people taking off their clothes?

FSB-SPY said:
Wings/gliding... like in OutWars?

outwars.jpg

Oh god not like that... Was originally thinking more like the equivalent of some flaps under your armpits and crotch to give the apparent effect of falling with an umbrella above your head.

Ehh... would slow down movement quite a bit -- to the effect of how flying/losing altitude is in Tribes 2. :(

For the "quick burst of speed"; this was a ton of fun in Renegades (yes, not joking). Especially in Renegades Spawn -- which is the equivalent of basePUB maps (no invies). On open flag maps like CanyonCrusade it was always fast-paced and very hectic until the very last second.

Natural said:
Oh god not like that... Was originally thinking more like the equivalent of some flaps under your armpits and crotch to give the apparent effect of falling with an umbrella above your head.

Mmmmm... crotch flaps... now I'm hungry

I like faster running, and the air stopping thing..

Some of it feels too mod like, renegades/havoc pop into mind, renegades didn't use your epack, the havoc boost one did, it made spawn rushing very very effective :eek:

:rofl: @ learn to ski

Natural said:
-Full freedom of flight direction (allow jetting in pure horizontal plane and jetting downwards)

Simply no. Would make dodging everything far too easy. You'd be able to jet behind hills and stuff much easier making a chaser's job much harder.

-Air brakes (slow working)

How would you implement it? Too complicated. Using your energy to slow you down is sufficient.

-Gliding equipment? (How, with all this flying, did we never consider adding some flaps to our armpits?)

I think that's been suggested before. I wouldn't have a problem with it, but it should be a pack or something though. Otherwise you would never take damage from a fall again.

-Energy afterburner (i.e. use all player energy for a quick burst,delay for energy to begin replenishing)

Kinda like what they did with the Scout in one of the T2 versions? Made it absolutely horrible to control. Once again, how do you implement this? Another button? Would be nice to have, but I don't need a button just for afterburn.

Ixiterra, You posted a screenshot of a high-score you got while playing Renegades.. :/

What ideas would be better?
Inclusion not Exclusion is the key to survival.. (guess which movie I saw again the other day :p)

I like to think of this as like the Angel System idea kind of. Er, for the gliding that is. That way you don't have giant wings on your back the entire time.

Of corse I don't know if you want everyone going around looking like seriphs or not..

I dunno, I don't like to discuss this stuff any more, b/c it seems like Thrax has already decided what the game is going to be like so any community input is just gonna be empty talk.

Ceiling_Fan said:
How exactly would you control jetting downwards, though?

the key in between WASD/ESDF? (j/k)
3rd mouse button?
both mouse buttons?

good point about the game decided already though... why talk?

I want reverse jets damnit :p.

Capping with small gliders, discjump and a boost would be crazy fun.

If we have to prioritize to keep the added complexity around controls to a minimum, I would vote for the addition of reverse jets and boost first - skip the glider if too complicated.

Back