[T:V] OpenGL or D3D?

oh i didnt know you can use php as a shell scripting lang (thatd be my argument for perl's usefulness)... guess im dumping perl too then :p

Khushi said:
oh i didnt know you can use php as a shell scripting lang (thatd be my argument for perl's usefulness)... guess im dumping perl too then :p
Yeah, I think PHP has been installing the CLI binary for the past few minor versions.

Meh, I've never actually used D3D, but I've seen plenty of D3D code, and trust me, OpenGL is MUCH MUCH prettier and easier to comprehend. They both do the same thing, but D3D just seems to have an uglier way of doing it. Imagine the Win32 API, capitalize ALL of the functions, and rename them to graphics calls, and there you have D3D.

And yogi is....strange :p

besides, d3d or opengl performance doesnt matter as much anymore since most of the critical logic runs on the gpu. frequently used model, texture, etc data get loaded once assuming enough memory is available. and perframe cpu side operations on such data are simplified to only a few api calls per instance, or none at all.

i think one argument for d3d is better thread safety. but threads shouldnt be used in a 3d engine in the first place. in my project theres only one thread, clean terse and efficient code is top priority, and opengl support comes first and direct3d support second (mainly for potential xbox support).

as hobbiticus said, it comes down to which is the cleanest to work with :)

Having skimmed through this thread, i just thought i'd add a few comments ;) firstly T:V is currently D3D only, and there are no plans for OpenGL support. We have effectively completely re-written the UT2k3 renderer and added support for a whole heap of advanced hardware shader stuff, so theres no way we can ship with the original unreal OGL renderer. And as people have observed, ut2k3 runs better under D3D anyways. Thats simply becuase the unreal OGL renderer is nowhere near as feature complete as the D3D one... epic is focused entirely on D3D, the OGL renderer is just a bit of poorly maintained 'dinosaur code'.

As for OpenGL vs D3D, each one has its pros and cons. I actually find D3D to be a better designed library than OGL, especially in terms of its OO 'niceness'. So it has some capitalised function calls... so what? Function name formatting does not a good design make. Anyone who thinks that D3D is a pain to code for needs to take another look at the API since dx8 or 9.

The main thing that OGL has always had over D3D has been exposing *all* hardware features, especially through OGL extensions. D3D is catching up fast thou, and theres not many OGL extensions now that aren't covered by DX9 API calls.
Looking into the future, hardware specific extensions are going to become less important as GPUs become more programmable and you do eveything with custom shader code. D3D is currently in the lead here, because it has much better handling of shader code and hardware resources in general.
Also any arguments over which is faster are completely moot these days. The limitation for a well programmed game is always the GPU, not the API.

UT2k3 is possible to set to opengl.. you need to change a row in ut2003.ini though

opengl is less laggy and looks better on a gf card... I h8 d3d

Ashaman said:
UT2k3 is possible to set to opengl.. you need to change a row in ut2003.ini though

opengl is less laggy and looks better on a gf card... I h8 d3d
D3D and opengl look the same for me.

Yellow said:
D3D is complete garbage. Halo and BF1942 being primary examples.
No relevance whatsoever.

Have you seen Halo on the XBox? Absolutely gorgeous. It was a horrendous PC port.

Right. Ok then, name me a competitive FPS game based on a D3D engine that isn't a complete piece of crap. Every D3D game I've ever played suffers from a variety of performance, clipping, collision, and netcode issues.

Yellow said:
Right. Ok then, name me a competitive FPS game based on a D3D engine that isn't a complete piece of crap. Every D3D game I've ever played suffers from a variety of performance, clipping, collision, and netcode issues.
Unreal Tournament 2003
More here: http://udn.epicgames.com/Powered/WebHome
And that's just Unreal based games (primary renderer is D3D).

Prince of Persi The sand of time (though not FPS, still a good game)

And all the "issues" you brought up have NOTHING to do with D3D.
Performance is a developer issue.
Clipping is a developer issue.
Collision is a physics engine (aka developer issue).
Netcode is a developer issue.

By developer issue, I mean the programmer did something that sucked.

Just accept that you are wrong and have no expertise in this field and get out of the thread.

Back