[T:V] Devs :/ Why bother with Blaster when the Burner seems better?

Wendy

Veteran XV
A somewhat serious question for the Devs, as I noticed a lot of people are excluding the blaster from their "ideal" layouts.

The burner seems to fire faster, lasts a heck of a long time (wall of flames~), sets the player on fire, and if it was modeled after the plasma gun then it should do a good deal of damage...

At this point the blaster looks like a throw away weapon again. Since they both run on energy, they're meant for indoors fighting, right? And IMO the burner looks much, much more effective.

Since the blaster is a shotty type of weapon, can you guys make the energy usage minimal, yet make it more of a anti-air type of weapon?

***Something more of an alternative for the chaingun because right now the chaingun seems like the only way to go.

for one thing, people are probably excluding the blaster because theyre still thinking t1/t2. second, what does energy use have to do with being meant for indoors? theyre both indoor/outdoor weapons.. with different applications, too

Because in case you forgot from T1 and T2, the plasma gun's range wasn't all that hot, its rate of fire and projectile speed was less than optimal for anti-air use (a VERY big factor in weapon usefulness in Tribes), and its spread was practically nil. (the T:V blaster, with its shotgun spread, is much better suited for that kind of thing) Unless you had godlike aim, you could barely scratch someone in the air or at medium range with the plasma rifle.

I don't see the Burner being any different in that respect...useful for close-quarters combat against low-speed targets, but extremely impractical against high-speed, long-range enemies.

I do think the Blaster's shots could stand to consume a bit less energy, though...it seems like that would definitely help its already visibly improved anti-air capability.

DEbig3 said:
what does energy use have to do with being meant for indoors? theyre both indoor/outdoor weapons.. with different applications, too

Are you sure you read what you typed carefully? If it's running off your energy, then you can't (well, you can but it will be difficult) jet and shoot at the same time. You don't *need* to jet indoors (especially with the new speedpack) As for their applications, if the burner is like the plasma gun, and the blaster is a shotty, shotty are meant to be used at close range (like the plasma gun)

That's why I'm proposing that the blaster use less energy, and maybe have more of a spread/more 'shrapnel' so that it's still good at close range, but can be used against close range air targets as well (thus diversifying it more from the burner)

1. You spawn with the blaster, you don't need an inv if you want to use this weapon.

2. No splash damage = no risk of hurting yourself (and less risk of hurting teammates/the teams generator, inc etc).

Wendy,

The blaster is very useful as designed. It has a nice spread, it reflects off of most surfaces, and it has a near infinate range (although it gets less accurate at longer distances. The Burner is very short range. I actually find it very good for a close MA in ourdoor situations. They're very different, and neither is "only" for indoor use.

I still don't understand why the Burner uses energy -- it doesn't seem to make sense. Perhaps someone could explain either the gameplay or 'realistic' explanation for why this is.

Thrax Panda said:
although it gets less accurate at longer distances.
Projectile spread? I thought enough people hated that "feature" of the disc launcher in pre-Classic T2 (and mortar in V2) that it wouldn't make another appearance.

LouCypher said:
Projectile spread? I thought enough people hated that "feature" of the disc launcher in pre-Classic T2 (and mortar in V2) that it wouldn't make another appearance.
It's a shotgun... afaik.

LouCypher said:

Well it would make sense here tho. Remember, its a shotgun. As such, shotguns inheritly get less accurate over long distance. Much like the chaingun in T2 (at least, it seems too. not sure if it physically does or not).

|MrSniper|Nyx said:
I still don't understand why the Burner uses energy -- it doesn't seem to make sense. Perhaps someone could explain either the gameplay or 'realistic' explanation for why this is.
There is none. Also the blaster uses energy - why? :) What an enigma.

|MrSniper|Nyx said:

Maybe on the gameplay side of things, it was thought to be better to have more then one infite ammo weapon. Or more important (altho i of course have not played T:V yet), one meaningful infinite ammo weapon.

Rev. Night said:
Well it would make sense here tho. Remember, its a shotgun. As such, shotguns inheritly get less accurate over long distance. Much like the chaingun in T2 (at least, it seems too. not sure if it physically does or not).
Shotguns don't get less accurate over longer distances, they do less damage due to the conical spread of the expelled projectiles. No matter where you point it, some are going to fire straight and only miss the target over distance due to force of gravity causing the projectile to drop.

A blaster projectile is pure energy and as such should not exhibit the behavior of one with mass. The spinfusor disc in T2 never dropped, it went in a random offset direction from the path fired, causing shots over long distances to miss. That's what pissed some people off because it took extra shots to take out turrets.

I can understand a limited particle lifetime, and I'm not one of those people that had a problem with disc spread. Reduced accuracy, or a complete randomness in targetting bothers me a little though.

well, the disc does spin, and as such would realistically give it a curved path in the air, not straight.

The burner, granted the energy use, does seem very justified. Its almost entirely an indoor weapon, and it doesn't matter so much flying around because of projectile slowness. it won't really affect much, except now you can't get away with using it with a sheild pack or other type of pack while using it. Actually makes it more balanced, and makes you be careful while using it. Besides, even with ammo and spamming it around with a sheild pack on, you spam too close and you catch yourself on fire. I think the fact that it catches things on fire is the entire reason for making it an energy weapon.

and the chaingun i have always seen as a finishing weapon, not entirely an anti-air weapon - it's just not accurate.

however, if you payed attention in t2 (classic) blaster, the energy you use to fire it recovers almost insantly after every shot. It already was minimal, it just wasn't practical to shoot from the air, unless you were EXTREMELY accurate. Unless teh energy usage is too much greater (but i imagine refire rate will be slightly slower -- much like plasma gun is in t2), you should be able to spam this on a heavy on your downward movement with no problem.

just my 2c. I look forward to using the blaster (instead of burner) in t2. Its annoying to hit yourself with your blaster, but its gotta be godawful catching yourself on fire all the time with 360 degree splash damage.

LouCypher said:
Shotguns don't get less accurate over longer distances, they do less damage due to the conical spread of the expelled projectiles. No matter where you point it, some are going to fire straight and only miss the target over distance due to force of gravity causing the projectile to drop.

A blaster projectile is pure energy and as such should not exhibit the behavior of one with mass. The spinfusor disc in T2 never dropped, it went in a random offset direction from the path fired, causing shots over long distances to miss. That's what pissed some people off because it took extra shots to take out turrets.

I can understand a limited particle lifetime, and I'm not one of those people that had a problem with disc spread. Reduced accuracy, or a complete randomness in targetting bothers me a little though.
less "pellets" would hit at long distance, because the spread would increase, which = less damage.

Back