[T:V - Cheats]

twice

Veteran XV
1. Multiplayer Cheats
I know the whole "you cant fix a cheat you dont know about deal" but i was curious as to what precautions and influences you are including in the game to encourage not only fair play but to prevent dll hacks etc (due to things we have seen in T2 [autoaim Hm2] and in t1 [glide hacks/opengl transparencys/hm1]

May be a good idea to hire some scripters to crack the code... or just offer them free beta test, and have the crack the shit outta the game so you can fix the problems before they appear online

*i know there will always be a cutting edge crack regardless, but what precautions are you all taking

2. Piracy
What steps are you taking against piracy and registration... will it be like T2 in that its fucking gay as hell and a pain in the ass
or will it be something unique (assuming you will have some sort of idea in place)

What was so pain in the ass about T2? It virtually prevents you from pirating the game, other than to play the amazing single player. And no, you won't be forced into using the same 5 nicknames, they've said.

Ixiterra said:
What was so pain in the ass about T2? It virtually prevents you from pirating the game, other than to play the amazing single player. And no, you won't be forced into using the same 5 nicknames, they've said.

all of t2 is pain in my ass

twice said:
2. Piracy
What steps are you taking against piracy and registration... will it be like T2 in that its fucking gay as hell and a pain in the ass
or will it be something unique (assuming you will have some sort of idea in place)
I know I vote for Gay as Hell! It does work quite well after all.

Since they've said you won't be registering a specific name like in T2, you'll likely just get a CD-key. Each cd-key is linked to a WONID of some sort. You know, the standard stuff...

There will be tons of UT2k4 cheats out in the wild and it uses (basicly)the same engine.
please make sure the UT2k4 cheats and GLhacks dont work with T:V
Thank you.

t2 was a pain in the ass because you the auth server would crash and nobody could log into t2 for a day or so... one time for more than a week i believe.

RoyaleWithCheese said:
t2 was a pain in the ass because you the auth server would crash and nobody could log into t2 for a day or so... one time for more than a week i believe.

Dammit, they told me those were mandatory sunlight exposure days.

RoyaleWithCheese said:

Thats because the auth server was hand coded by DaveG. In a game with a real developer in charge, this won't happen.

T2's reging system is the best smurf and piracy stopped I've seen to date, and I wouldn't mind seeing it make a comeback in T:V

I thought the T2 CD check or CD copy protection was to blame for the rash of people not able to get files installed properly, giving rise to the "first aid" utility.

The auth servers have been pretty reliable now that hardly anyone plays anymore. ;)

Unfortunately, you can't stop cheating. People with too much time on their hands will reverse and pull apart code to screw with it. I haven't heard of anyway to stop someone from hacking an .exe.

I don't even care if people cheat during pub play, to me they are just kidding themselves. It is cheating during competition that is the piss off IMO.

|MrSniper|Nyx said:
Thats because the auth server was hand coded by DaveG. In a game with a real developer in charge, this won't happen.

T2's reging system is the best smurf and piracy stopped I've seen to date, and I wouldn't mind seeing it make a comeback in T:V
can you guarantee that it will never go down? i really doubt it.

smurfing wasnt THAT big of an issue in t1 in the later stages when people figured out how to bust people on it.

T2's method was great!

You don't have to worry about a stupid key when you install originally, you don't have to worry about a stupid key when your format your computer, you don't have to have the CD in the drive, the game doesn't have to be anywhere in the registry (copy and paste of folders works)... you have to worry about the key one single time--when you make your account. That's it, never again is it necesary.

Perfect and ingenious for what T2 is... however they will want to protect their single player I imagine and that's when the typical (read: necesary) fagotry will start.

However, perhaps I have a helpful suggestion... an ability to do a multiplayer only install that has none of the protection of the single player install, just the T2 method. Then people can be happy, hug purple bunnies and all that good stuff while only needing to deal with the necesary protection.

GIMPbeowulf said:
Perfect and ingenious for what T2 is... however they will want to protect their single player I imagine and that's when the typical (read: necesary) fagotry will start.

Yes, exactly. I occasionally wanted to go back and play Starcraft. I still have the CD, but the case with the CD key is absolutely nowhere to be found.

However, SP protection isn't really necessary. No matter how many hoops you make people go through, it still doesn't even delay the inevitable. Yes there should be some mild protection so that it can't be installed on every monkey's computer, but anyone with half a brain will be able to find a crack for any kind of defense system.

So... CD required for SP, login for MP. :shrug:

the point was more towards the bugs in the t2 login and whatnot... i had a ton of trouble with it and know of many others who had the same problem... many people bought it then couldnt play because they couldnt log in... or the UEs but thats another issue

Ixiterra said:
Yes, exactly. I occasionally wanted to go back and play Starcraft. I still have the CD, but the case with the CD key is absolutely nowhere to be found.

In early blizzard games you can just enter all three's (3) as the CD Key and it will work. Of course, not online.

Back