[T:V] Cheap tactics question

Wendy

Veteran XV
1. Remote inventory is in the game right? And any armor (including lights) can carry deployables? So then why can't a sniper still solo-snipe for 30 minutes straight if he can just carry a remote inventory to resupply?

2. Can turrets be purchased at a remote inventory? Basically what I'm asking is will I be able to pull off offensive turrets (and/or is there a negative interference zone or something)

3. While I'm at it, can you buy remote inventories or turrets from the buggy thingy? Argh, and am I correct or is there no more ammo station deployable.

1. Because someone will see the bright red beam and go and frag his ass.

2. No.

3. No. And yes, you are correct, there are no ammo-specific deployables. The deployable inv. station covers it all, except armour.

Deployables (turrets, inv. stations, etc.) are only available from their own specific deployable station. They're not available through the main inv. stations.

Last edited:
If someone can snipe for 30 minutes straight without someone going after him, the D deserves to get pissed off.

Uhh... I'm not sure why you would consider any of tactics you listed "cheap", seeing as both 1. and 2. would be utterly worthless if you tried using them.... (even if 2 was possible).

Wendy said:
1. Remote inventory is in the game right? And any armor (including lights) can carry deployables? So then why can't a sniper still solo-snipe for 30 minutes straight if he can just carry a remote inventory to resupply?

2. Can turrets be purchased at a remote inventory? Basically what I'm asking is will I be able to pull off offensive turrets (and/or is there a negative interference zone or something)

3. While I'm at it, can you buy remote inventories or turrets from the buggy thingy? Argh, and am I correct or is there no more ammo station deployable.

1) can i drive the buggy over to the nmy base, shout "NOW!!!11one" via TS/teamchat and have my entire off spawn at buggy in the same moment???
(since you can spawn while it´s moving and chose spwanzones when dead)

2) what use is the buggy anyways if one salvo from the rockedpod destroys it
(as seen in one of the videos) and if it can be stolen anytime when unmanned ? sounds to me as if this thing is going to be constantly destroyed/in nmy hands...

3) the air vehicles look quite fast and manouverable. can any def comment on how hard is it to destroy them (ground-air wise) (seems quite hard without self-guided missiles)

more to come...

ZProtoss said:
Uhh... I'm not sure why you would consider any of tactics you listed "cheap", seeing as both 1. and 2. would be utterly worthless if you tried using them.... (even if 2 was possible).

I dunno about utterly worthless, perhaps near impossible (especially in Tribes 1). But IF you had a HO train and could deliver an inventory station to them in like either Raindance or Iceridge you could hold base for a while. (and don't gimme that crap about "Well yeah, on a NEWB server" since even vets can't put up with endless spam while the other deploys)

It would require an immensely incompetent defense for you to setup and inv and deploy turrets in their base. Not to mention, it'd be a horrible idea for the O to do that, since turrets are far more effective on defense than they are on offense, and the defense is going to want every possible turret it can get.

Wendy said:
I dunno about utterly worthless, perhaps near impossible (especially in Tribes 1). But IF you had a HO train and could deliver an inventory station to them in like either Raindance or Iceridge you could hold base for a while. (and don't gimme that crap about "Well yeah, on a NEWB server" since even vets can't put up with endless spam while the other deploys)

defense have an inherent advantage in retaking the base. even with 'constant endless spam' that inv wouldn't live more than 2 waves of spawners

[edit] and one person spamming an entry is not endless, nor constant. To completely seal a single entry to a base would require at least 5, probably more like 8, HO, not counting the time needed to reload after shooting 10/20 mortars.

Last edited:
Not to mention, invs are in extremely short supply. On most maps the defense is going to want most of them, and if the offense can get one, it's usually one for cappers so they can DJ to a certain point and get suited up without having to go near the base. Unless you're playing against a horrible team, deploying it in an enemy base would be a total waste.

-crap- said:
defense have an inherent advantage in retaking the base. even with 'constant endless spam' that inv wouldn't live more than 2 waves of spawners

-crap- said:
To completely seal a single entry to a base would require at least 5, probably more like 8, HO, not counting the time needed to reload after shooting 10/20 mortars.

uhh 2 HO would be enough to seal an opening. I've done it on RD, it's fun. :p

you guys are thinking too much about competition play, and by far the majority of tribes players spend their time pubbing

but what I think I was getting at was just another way to torture the newbie players (like scout, except in T:V the vehicles seem useful)

Theta said:
uhh 2 HO would be enough to seal an opening. I've done it on RD, it's fun. :p

Not if you're talking completely sealing it. That would require a mortar to be going off at every moment, with possibly a 0.5 second delay between explosions, so that someone couldn't actually time it and get through. Plus the fact that you need to reload ammo periodically.

Admittedly it requires somewhat fewer to just make it damn hard to get in.

i think holding a turret should weigh you down big time, like in t1 (not sure about t2)

it would just make everyone think twice before bringing a turret or inv station (just in case) on cap routes etc. dunno, this may already be in the game. vgd

couldnt one heavy burner the entrance untill he ran out of jet and then the next took over, and while their jet was recharging the other could farm....

holy shit I didn't think of that.

It depends on how the burner explosion doles out damage. It may be that a light can make it through the wall but will take like half damage, in which case its not a very good tool if you're going to get hit with waves of spawners, but if it does all its damage immediately (which I doubt) then it'd be impossible :eek:

Back