Switching Phone Companies

Archimedes

Veteran XV
Just looking for a little advice.

Right now I am on my parents' plan (Sprint) and I am about to get off of it so help them cut some costs, so I am in the market for my own phone company. I don't have any particular kind of phone I want, although I do love Sanyos. I simply want a messaging (and possibly internet) phone. I'd like to stick with major carriers as well.

Anyone got any advice? I'd appreciate any advice. :D

Spoiler

I've had Verizon since 1997 (when they were GTE) and have been nothing but happy with them. Their "Get It Now" is sort of homoerotic but I don't use that shit anyway.

You will find most of the major companies have the same plans, difference is the phones and coverage.. at&t is cool cuz they use GSM.. if u ever buy another phone off some one u can just take ur sim card out and use it in any GSM phone. U cant do that with verizon, u have to call them and make sure they add it to ur service. Just talk to people around and ask them if they like their service and see who provides theirs. Thats the best way.

Ive had phones with every major carrier and I am now with AT&T. Every carrier has their ups and downs.. decide on your coverage area and where you will use your phone the most first. Then look at carriers and what they offer in those areas. Then look at prices on plans and promotions. The last thing you should look at is the phone if you don't have a specific phone you want.

Good Luck.

verizon has one of the best networks. and now that they're doing the android line of phones, their proprietary software is starting to fade...thankfully

i'd say stick with Sprint. Goto

Everything Plus(SM) Referral Program

and enter Russ.S.McGuire@Sprint.com and 383. Russ is a sprint exec who gives that info out for people to sign up with.

You can get your own plan for $60, which is virtually unlimited (unlimited mobile to mobile calls, any networks) and internet.

you can pickup a sweet android phone too. Keyboard = Samsung Moment. No keyboard = HTC Hero

Or convince your parents to switch plans and pay your share of a family plan. You can get 3 lines of unlimited data for $125 (and still unlimited mobile to mobile)

Want Five Times More 3G Coverage? There’s a Map for That.

I'm actually getting ready to switch from ATT to Verizon here in the next month or so.

Last edited:
I have been with Sprint for 3 years now. I only pay $30 /month because I'm on a now-extinct SERO 500 plan that included 500 anytime, unlim internet, txt, mms. The service is great (S. Wisc) and customer service is good.

I'm a WinMo fan so I got the HTC Touch Pro2 and I'm lovin' life (it also supports GSM networks). If I didn't have Sprint, Verizon would be my next choice.

If you are looking for cheap service, check your companies discounts. Some offer at least 20% discount. Most major corps have this kind of discount. Also, prepaid walmart phones are becoming cheaper and cheaper every day.

Some pointers.

EDIT: forgot about the discount Doaln mentioned. Do that.

Last edited:
I have been with Sprint for 3 years now. I only pay $30 /month because I'm on a now-extinct SERO 500 plan that included 500 anytime, unlim internet, txt, mms. The service is great (S. Wisc) and customer service is good.

I'm a WinMo fan so I got the HTC Touch Pro2 and I'm lovin' life (it also supports GSM networks). If I didn't have Sprint, Verizon would be my next choice.

If you are looking for cheap service, check your companies discounts. Some offer at least 20% discount. Most major corps have this kind of discount. Also, prepaid walmart phones are becoming cheaper and cheaper every day.

Some pointers.

EDIT: forgot about the discount Doaln mentioned. Do that.

i'm on the same plan. the only thing that MAY get me to switch off this plan is to goto a family plan with my brother (who is also on SERO) when Sprint rolls out a 4G Android phone. they are supposed to be doing that Q1 or Q2 of 2010.

4G coverage is already here, just need the phones.

I'm either going to stick with AT&T for this:
Sony+Ericcson++Androidxperia-x10.jpg.jpg

Or switch to Verizon for this:

htc_bravo-300x336.jpg

I guess it depends on how they price them, and how the reviews are when these beauties come out :D

I like ATT. Great coverage in my area and the iPhone is great.

Amen.. i was pretty anti iphone for a while cuz it was expensive and i thought my blackjack browser waz ok.. but damn i was wrong.. "Nation wide" roaming means nothing to me cuz i dont travel out of my region very often and the coverage in my city is great..

Back