switching cellphone carriers

i want to switch cellphone carriers and keep my same number. can i cancel my current contract first and still be able to keep the number, or do i have to get a new plan first? i will be getting a new phone.

I have sprint and love it.

I rely really heavily on their data network with my phone. I have 4 phones with unlimited text/pic/internet 1500 minutes u/l nights and weekends starting at 7 for $110

I have the Sprint Touch I don't know how I lived without it

i think they made a law where you have to be able to keep your number when you migrate carriers

i want to switch cellphone carriers and keep my same number. can i cancel my current contract first and still be able to keep the number, or do i have to get a new plan first? i will be getting a new phone.

I am currently working a part-time job hocking cell phone service for AT&T while in school. Get your number ported first, then pay penalty. If you cancel first, then I don't think you can port same number over. If you live anywhere but the Northwest, then I think our (AT&T, old Cingular) is best. I can't say our equipment or plans are best, cause I'm not terribly familiar with the other carriers except their coverage.

Verizon coverage borrows (utilizes) other carriers towers (except AT&Ts) and does not perform the same, but makes for an impressive looking coverage map. And when I call on behalf of customers, I've been impressed by the lengths AT&T Customer Care will go to please their customers when something messes up. They're not perfect though, no large corp is.

Switching the daughter from Nextel to AT&T (Blackberry Curve 8310).
I called a human at AT&T and he handled everything. You'll need to know your account number at the old carrier. They'll put in the phone number to make sure it will switch. You sign up with the new company, use your credit card, pay the set up fee, start a plan. They send out the phone by Fedex. It takes 5 days to arrive. When it does, charge it up, activate it, and 1 hour after you do this, the number should switch. This is because all the paper work has been filled out in advance.

Daughters new phone arrives on Tuesday. We'll see how it goes.

Any idea how this works if you live in a different area code than the number you want to port?

I am planning to switch to my husband's plan, but I want to keep my number, which is a different service area as well as area code. Any idea if I'll be able to port?

Back