Steak Au Poivre (steak with peppercorns or something)

Java

Contributor
Veteran XX
I was at BJ's yesterday and found this usda prime angus. pretty sweet find.
2nv80zr.jpg

anyhow - here are your ingredients - nothing was measured
cuxhu.jpg

First make sure your meat has been out of the fridge for at least 30 minutes to come up to room temp.

then take a sheet of wax paper and pour some whole peppercorns on it and fold up the sides to make a pouch.
f9mr9v.jpg

next, using a meat mallet or the bottom of a pot, crush your peppercorns
2e5s8s9.jpg

this is what you'll end up with after a couple minutes
e5r3wp.jpg

next pour them on a plate and get your steak (you can season the steak with salt at this point if you want)
zunxnp.jpg

get a good coating of peppercorns on both sides of the steak and then press them a bit to make sure they adhere
1mfeb.jpg

then add some oil ( i used extra virgin but won't next time because of the smoke point) and in goes the steak to a hot pan (my pan was a bit too hot but didn't affect the cooking) -another reason why i hate electric stoves, no control.
nox2zd.jpg

after about 4 minutes i flip the steak and add my butter - looks burned but it's not
t4v32h.jpg

another 4 minutes on this side while also tilting the pan and basting the steak with the butter and oil
30djsrn.jpg

next remove the steak and dump out the excess oil - add your cognac/brandy and ignite
2cqnog4.jpg

once the flames are out add your cream and scrape up any brown bits on the bottom of your pan. let the cream reduce and thicken
inqp6v.jpg

serve with whatever but i recommend spinach and fries!
14ecpao.jpg

hell yeah
sc6tnb.jpg

yeah i've had better luck with it when i haven't been so prepared as to have my pan pre-heating for a long time.

i have electric and the only method of 'control' i know is to take the pan off the heat

some people use two burners at different settings for some shit but ive never had a reason to do it

shit looks banging btw

yeah i was waving my pan around the room before i put the oil in it - then i had smoke and threw on a ceiling fan (where is he btw) and opened a window. total smokeout. those pics didn't make it in though lol

I would agree the addition of shallots and stock to the sauce would have brought it up a level.

But I must commend you for your execution of the steak - well cooked! What temp did you cook it at?

I use a similar technique (basting with butter in a pan) on a med heat cooked a bit longer, which gets good results as well.

i didn't use those in this recipe. typically when you use stock you don't use the cream although i know you could. there are several recipe variations on this dish but i'm sure you know that.

After i flambe i put alittle butter and add whole brined green peppercorns and shallots. Then add my espongnole or demi. Reduce over medium for 10 minutes then add cream and reduce alittle more.

I love steak, and I love pepper, and I love pepper on steak - but I never could deal with peppercorn steaks like that. Just way too much pepper.

I love steak, and I love pepper, and I love pepper on steak - but I never could deal with peppercorn steaks like that. Just way too much pepper.

i think you would be surprised at how mild the pepper flavor is.

And Simplex i think i'll try your method next time - i just need to be better prepared. i decided to do this last minute last night so fresh herbs, demi, shallots etc. stuff i don't normally have around the house.

yea i wasnt bashing. Btw i saw in the supermarket that a brand called kitchen basics makes veal stock. I was happy to see that cause veal stock u never see in supermarkets unless its a specialty store

i'll have to check that out, thanks -

i used to get 3 gallon pails of demi at work then separate them and put them in the freezer - that would be nice to have on hand at home.

I like to sear the steak at high heat first, then coat with the peppercorns, then cook at a lower heat

i can never get the steak right without burning the pepper without doing it that way

Back