[star wars] The Last Fuckin Jedi [box of words] [$$billion$$]

I wasn't going to talk about the SJW crap in my first review because I didn't want the thread to go down that path. But now that others are speaking up, I did notice it after watching the movie.

I'd say it's a combination of the plot holes and the SJW crap.

the sjw excuse is stupid

the movie wasn't bad because it has a female protagonist, it was bad because it was sloppy and had shitty plot holes. I don't give a fuck if the lead was jar jar.

The empire was ALWAYS about humans and fascism, shit they even had near nazi uniforms whereas the rebels were all sorts of different types of creatures. Also are we really having a debate on the amount of aliens on the good side versus the bad side in a fucking science fiction film?

Last edited:
TYT are stupid

so is anyone saying the movie was bad bc there was a female lead

the problem with Rey isn't that she's female, it's that she has powers and abilities for no reason

it made sense for Leia to be "strong", because she was in a position of power and could be presumed to have experience with making tough decisions and working under pressure

it's not like Luke woke up one day and could use the force at will, like Rey

also i haven't seen this piece of shit, because after TFA, i won't be watching them in theaters

TYT are stupid

so is anyone saying the movie was bad bc there was a female lead

the problem with Rey isn't that she's female, it's that she has powers and abilities for no reason

it made sense for Leia to be "strong", because she was in a position of power and could be presumed to have experience with making tough decisions and working under pressure

it's not like Luke woke up one day and could use the force at will, like Rey

also i haven't seen this piece of shit, because after TFA, i won't be watching them in theaters

Um Rey has powers and abilities because of the force. Of all the shit to complain about this should be the last fucking one. It is a magical force of ill defined limits for fucks sake.

Lots of reasons to be annoyed with how Rey was used in TFA and stuff but how and where force sensitivity and ability manifests is the last one.

As opposed to the story in the original where the kid who just happens to find 2 random droids on a huge desert planet also just happens to be the son of a powerful Jedi who just happens to take these droids to the only man in the universe who could possibly put this story together. Oh and this was all put together by Luke's sister but neither of them know about each other. But later they can sense each other, but not until after they make out.

Um Rey has powers and abilities because of the force. Of all the shit to complain about this should be the last fucking one. It is a magical force of ill defined limits for fucks sake.

Lots of reasons to be annoyed with how Rey was used in TFA and stuff but how and where force sensitivity and ability manifests is the last one.

curious that everyone in the history of star wars has had to train in order to be effective using the force

except rey

she can just do it all bc she's amazing

we really have no idea how much time luke spent on dagobah before he ended his training early

could have been like 2 days

then suddenly he's super powerful

anakin was also 'using the force' to be an amazing pilot when he was still a child

its also been suggested that han is slightly force sensitive that's why he's awesome

the idea of people using the force with minimal/zero training isn't a new concept

not saying it isn't lazy story telling to just handwave her force affinity

but in the grand scheme of things it isn't the problem with why these movies have severe story and structure issues

it is just a dumb nit pick

and again it is a magical force that has almost no canonical rules beyond the light and dark side

curious that everyone in the history of star wars has had to train in order to be effective using the force

except rey

Back in the day... when Anakin was becoming Darth, in order to take out a good chunk of the force sensitive people, he went into a school designed just for teaching kids how to use their abilities and wiped them all out. Just imagine how the story would be in episode 4 if all force sensitive kids could just learn how to do amazing things without being taught, and how difficult order 66 would have been to accomplish if these kids were not grouped into some schools.

But Rey, she's different. She's special. She can somehow train herself how to use the force with no guidance whatsoever. She has the ability to use the force without fear of going dark-side or not.

This is the new face of the force, this is... femiforce.

except rey

what exactly did she do that was so advanced in TFA? she mind tricked one guard and force pulled the lightsaber

not only is she leaps and bounds (literally) behind historical force users (see obiwan, Anakin) they qualify her affinity in this movie with lukes "I've seen this raw strength once before"

not only have they explained it, but they are trying to sell the "force is trying to balance" schtick with Kylo and Rey each being blessed with this power spike.

As opposed to the story in the original where the kid who just happens to find 2 random droids on a huge desert planet also just happens to be the son of a powerful Jedi who just happens to take these droids to the only man in the universe who could possibly put this story together.

wow you're dumb

I apologize as there has been a ton of discussion surrounding this film but as someone who doesn’t usually think very much about blockbuster films, I find the discourse around this film fascinating.

Are fans worth nurturing if you are a filmmaker without cynical intent? I think my growing appreciation for TLJ is less about how it broadens the Star Wars universe or builds upon the lore (which it really doesn’t much), but in how much the film itself is about Star Wars and the next generation of Star Wars fandom. The fact that the film is so divisive in a way that echoes the divides the characters in the film have about “the past” and “the Jedi” (aka: Star Wars as a franchise) is pretty funny.

It’s a perfect counterpoint to The Force Awakens, which in itself wanted to be about Star Wars fans. The Force Awakens establishes Rey as a representation of a new generation of Star Wars fan, literally owning a doll of a rebel pilot and rummaging through the remains of the events in the original trilogy. Unfortunately the film itself is so much of a retread narrative wise that it comes off as cynical rather than genuine reflection - “You too can experience the same thing your parents did in theaters!”

Rey is the obvious audience surrogate yet again. In the Last Jedi, she confronts her fandom and nostalgia directly. She speaks to Luke who dismisses the “old ways” as antiquated and not worth reviving. Rey, as a fan badly wants to revive Star Wars as she knew and loved it. Kylo on the other hand feels burdened by the past and wants to destroy it. These two voices speak to the dual burden Rian and the current generation of Star Wars/pop culture filmmakers feel in an era of unprecedented regurgitation. Part of them feels they have to subvert and destroy what we know of the old trilogy and our nostalgia surrounding it to truly move on and allow established popular culture to belong to a new generation. That pull plays out in the film in a few ways, Rian kills cherished old characters passively and subverts old narratives with blunt force through the hands of the antagonists. At one point Kylo seems to be speaking to the audience directly when he angrily says “No, no! You’re still holding on - let go!”.

Yet Luke serves as the counter-conclusion of that rumination. He can’t recreate Star Wars as we loved it, he “can’t be what (the fans) need me to be”. But ultimately Rian as a filmmaker and Luke as a character decide to stop feeling the weight of the franchise/the Jedi as a burden and embraces these stories through their true value: their ability to inspire future generations (aka broom boy) and future filmmakers to blaze their own trail while carrying the influence of these films and these characters with them. In the end Luke’s presence literally and figuratively only buys time for everyone else to carry on.

I feel like this is the primary narrative of the film, a thematic one, rather than something that details and builds upon established lore. The film is exhausting because it makes the audience assess their own feelings on Star Wars, judge whether it is based on pure nostalgia and how much they are willing to let go. It really is a quite clever bit of postmodern filmmaking and I was shocked to see that sort of meta dialogue play out on screen in what would otherwise seem like a safe corporate product.

However the film is a bit confusing because it makes me question what possible choice filmmakers dealing with lumbering, tired pop culture institutions have to make something authentically theirs? Is it even possible to make popular culture belong to a new generation without simply regurgitating it with a new gloss?

Rey getting her super powers after 3 easy lessons was a required plot convenience - another contrived aspect. It's these contrivances and conveniences which take away from the lore and render this movie p much just another fanciful trip in space.

I won't be buying movie tickets for the next instalment.

One thing that really bothered me was after Finn and Rose got caught in the enemy ship trying to disable the tracking device, there was absolutely no sentiment on the fact that they completely fuked the transport shuttles by giving away their positions.

I don't think Poe seemed to give a damn either, or felt remorseful or anything. Overall, that entire part was just pointless.

Oh yeah and luke just vanishing was just ridiculous I mean wtf

A space military with the technology for light speed vehicles would probably already have made light speed missiles first, both in laser and solid matter form, with the effective range of a 'light speed jump.' The spaceship chase was such a bad premise.

Back