SSD Boot Drive speed difference

Does anyone here use a SSD as their boot and then a larger HDD for storage? I have a 1TB Caviar Black at the moment, and wondering how much faster boot time would be w/ an SSD.

Check with Anandtech forums, they had a discussion on some of this recently I think... One notable test done 2 or 3 months ago showed SSDs got slower as it filled-up with data; but given your situation, this may not apply...

I only have a small amount knowledge on SSDs and the one thing I can see that could or could not be a hang-up is you can't really defrag them ==> so isn't data available basically in the order its added?? Guess I need to research and learn more before I open my yap...

My boot times are between 7-12 seconds....much faster than my raptor's. I also have Steam and L4D loaded on it so it makes them load in a flash.

Anand's review is 17 pages long and is somewhat technical. It's a very good explanation of the state of SSDs right now.
If you're looking to buy, look at the Intel X25-M

Like Anandtech... Is there any real world benchmarks other than what Intel puts out themselves for their products??

This review is nearly a year old, the technology has changed a lot. Find some more recent ones.
nVIDIA Geforce 285 260 9800 275 295 GT GTX AMD ATI Radeon HD 4850 4870 4890 X2 - Guru of 3D: PC Hardware Reviews
Sorry, your link is generalized, you have something specific, thanks...

This discussion is retarded.

SSD drives are between $40 and $1200; if you want size and speed, $1200 is what you pay; otherwise the drive implodes and the warrantor ships you someone elses defective disk.

If you want a place to load games to/from, entry level is 8-16GB and that isn't much. Those blow up inside of 6 months; look at netbook forums.

Newegg.com - SUPER TALENT MasterDrive RX FTM12GE25H 2.5" 512GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Solid State Disks

Newegg.com - Computer Hardware,Flash Memory & Readers,Solid State Disks,Intel,

COMPARIED To:

Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST380815AS 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

@$35*8=280
+
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST3750330NS 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
@$130
+
Newegg.com - SUPERMICRO AOC-USAS-L4i PCI Express SAS LSISAS 1068E 8-port controller Card RAID 0/1/10 - Controllers / RAID Cards
@$120
+
Norton Ghost/any ghosting utility (backup from the 8-drive raid array to your 750gb HDD).

= an 8-disk Raid 0 array with a backup disk that fits into any 16x pci slot for $530. You can do a 4-disk array just like this for sub $300.

Throughput-wise, this will beat the snot out of any SSD or dual-SSD config over the long-term. If a drive blows, you ghost from the backup disk or you can even do a NAS if you'd like. Or better, just have a backup disk for when it goes.

YouTube - Intel 80GB SSD X25-M vs. WD 1TB HDD Raid-0 250GB x 4 units
RAID 0 Benchmark Results: SSD vs. Conventional Drives - Review Tom's Hardware : Memoright SSDs: The End of Hard Drives?

(You get 2-6 times the storage space at half the performance for a quarter of the price)

In 2 years when the tech is perfected, quality flash memory is dirt cheap, and the motherboards/cards have been optimized for random access compaired to linear access via regular hard disk, I might buy one.

Otherwise, when I have some spending cash i'll be considering upgrading to a phenom, 800W PSU and a 4-disk Raid array with a household NAS off of gigabit ethernet to make ghosting a sinch.

Last edited:
Back