Spelunky

PyroTeknik

Contributor
Veteran XV
Didn't see a thread on the awesomeness that is Spelunky.
Spelunky!

spelunky_screen.png

Submitted for the approval of The Midnight Society, I call this story... SPELUNKY! This is my latest game release and my first Game Maker game.

Probably the easiest way to describe Spelunky is that its (kind of) like La Mulana meets Nethack - every time you play the levels, items, monsters, and so forth, are all procedurally-generated. And the terrain is destructible and there are quite a few ways in which the various game elements can interact with one another.

My goal was to create a fast-paced platform game that had the kind of tension, re-playability, and variety of a roguelike. In roguelikes, the gameplay tells the story, and I wanted to give Spelunky that type of a feeling... but make the player rely on their reflexes rather than their brain (or knowledge of what 50 billion command keys do!). If there's a best of both worlds, that's what I was trying to go for.

But yeah, I'll leave it to you to decide whether I got the mix right or failed miserably! The game is not quite v1.0, but it has most of the elements that I wanted to get in. Hope you enjoy it, and I am eagerly awaiting your feedback, whether it's good, bad, or frickin' beautiful. I'm crossing my fingers that it doesn't break!

Many, many thanks to the beta testers, without whom this would not have been possible! Seriously, they contributed a ton of feedback, bug reports, and ideas to the game. If it wasn't for the constant tears in their eyes from my cruel lashes, I might have thought they even enjoyed it a bit. And thanks, ChevyRay, for letting me use your nifty screen-scaling code. Once I got it to work, it worked pretty beautifully.

Link to the latest version:
http://www.derekyu.com/games/spelunky_0_99.rar

It's fun, and horribly unforgiving.

Sure why the hell not

Fuck me this shit is hard... Although it was nice when I killed the craps dealer and stole his shotgun.

Last edited:
Damn and a half this shit is tough... but addictive and fun.

Watch out for bomb chests, they will piss you the fuck off.

Watch out for bomb chests, they will piss you the fuck off.

I didn't even know there were bomb chests until one exploded in my face.
It was my longest run too, I had a shitload of items and then kabloey :(

I do enjoy using the damsel as an offensive weapon though.

I didn't even know there were bomb chests until one exploded in my face.
It was my longest run too, I had a shitload of items and then kabloey :(

I do enjoy using the damsel as an offensive weapon though.

Yeah... She's become my weapon of choice.

Her or the golden idol.

Sucks a little when she gets knocked out though, bitch won't leave the level on her own.

Back