Space Rangers 2 (Fun game)

JoMo

Veteran XX
Yeah, the title sucks, but i just recently discovered this game. It's a European game, but set to be released in the US this month (according to gamespot). The version I have is translated and the best I can describe it is that it's like Sid Maier's Pirates!, but bigger in scope and scale, and there's more to do. It's been compared to Star Control 2 and Freelancer combined.

The main space screen is a lot like Galactic Civilizations.
http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/680/680110/space-rangers-2-dominators-20060109052231864.jpg

There's about 10 little mini games in this game. It's a turn based, strategy, RTS, RPG, FPS, Adventure, trading game. And it's open ended. You can buy pods to explore planets, become governor of some place, be a pirate, merchant, fighter, bounty hunter, etc.... then when you upgrade your ship (there's a lot of upgrades) you can eventually go fight the "Dominators" which is a race set on destroying all the other races.

RTS (building and arming robots for land war)
30250.jpg

30247.jpg

Trading screen:
30241.jpg

Ship Customization:
30240.jpg

The adventure part happens several times in a "choose your own adventure" type storyline... If you land on a planet that hates you and you get sent to jail, you can do all this in a choose your own adventure style:

"Players can work out, train cockroaches to compete in races, throw parties in the galley, steal a fork and spoon to dig a tunnel to freedom, or become a snitch to curry favor with the guards. There are dozens of choices that affect your standing with the populace, your health, strength, intelligence, and medical needs. Players can shake down prisoners or even join in fights."

There's a lot more to it as well..... however, steep learning curve at first because the training missions are well, gay.

Review:
"But Space Rangers 2 is moment for moment one of the greatest, most imaginative, deepest, most involving and overall spectacular computer games I have ever played."

been watching this for awhile. looks nice

The $64 question: Is it pay to play though??

I thought it was.....

DudeofDeath said:
been watching this for awhile. looks nice

The $64 question: Is it pay to play though??

I thought it was.....

Nope.. It's not even multiplayer.

Yeah, I just got the RIP version because the movies and voice acting really suck and I don't play any games with sound usually.

I've seen this in the actual store and haven't bought it because of doubts.

Games that contain eight different gametypes almost always contain eight gametypes that each are one eighth as good as games with only one game type.

what was that pc games from the 80s... the one where you traveled from galaxy to galaxy and made friends,mined, etc. you could also do a 1 on 1 battle on your computer...

Pachacutec said:
what was that pc games from the 80s... the one where you traveled from galaxy to galaxy and made friends,mined, etc. you could also do a 1 on 1 battle on your computer...

StarControl

Ur-Quan Dreadnaught GONNA GET IN YO ASS!!

edit: wtf too early
edit2: appears I already killed that dude's bandwidth

Last edited:
kaaaayjaaay! of course you would remember it. that game was visionary. i wasted so many day to it... lol the dreadnought. always considered the cheap ship until you knew how to use the others.

Pachacutec said:
Star Control.

Star Control II has been ported for all platforms, available here as "The Ur-Quan Masters":

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

Version 0.4.0 was really polished and felt complete, 0.5.0 can only be even better.

So how about some info/screenshots/reviews from people who have actually played this? All the screenshots are in arabic or some shit :[

Back