[(#)SOCCER] 2007-2008 Season Thread Part II

having just gotten home, all I can say is I'm fucking ecstatic

I'll take a 1-1 draw, especially since by all rights that should have been 2-1 arsenal

on top of that, fenerbahce beat Chelsea and we all had a good time in the bar thanks to the 15-20 raucous fener fans.

starlight u motherfucker

u gonna play legions or wut buddie :]

edit: i couldn't watch the motherfucking game due to work, son of a bitch, i will not miss the next leg

I dont know about legions just yet. I am currently playing wow with uno and about 20 others from tw.

lmfao at Chelsea. They are too full of fail.

was pretty fucking funny, at the bar I was at - there were about 80ish arsenal/liverpool supporters, ~25 chelsea fans, and 15-20 fenerbahce

When Fenerbahce scored that second goal just about the whole fucking building went crazy :lol: it was the loudest it got other than when the arsenal player cleared the certain goal off Liverpool's line

liverpool get SO lucky in the CL. i mean jesus christ....arsenal coulda had the game 4-1, even 5-1.

two clearances off the line, missed penalty...

Not a single Arsenal player contended it was a penalty, even the one who went down (presumably didn't want to be booked for diving). Yes it's debatable but the slightest touch on the arm very rarely grants a penalty.

All in all, 2-1 would have been a fair result; chances do not directly translate into goals (if you're counting chances Arsenal produced 7 shots on target and Liverpool 3). Fact is that Liverpool produced a deserved equaliser after conceding due to terrible marking on a corner and then spent the rest of the match defending to conserve energy for the next 2 games.

I'm not too sure how long you've been watching Arsenal for but their ineptitude in strong scoring opportunities has been consistently shocking for the last 2 or 3 seasons. Being able to actually produce a decent shot at the end of an attacking move is also part of the game.

Not a single Arsenal player contended it was a penalty, even the one who went down (presumably didn't want to be booked for diving). Yes it's debatable but the slightest touch on the arm very rarely grants a penalty.

All in all, 2-1 would have been a fair result; chances do not directly translate into goals (if you're counting chances Arsenal produced 7 shots on target and Liverpool 3). Fact is that Liverpool produced a deserved equaliser after conceding due to terrible marking on a corner and then spent the rest of the match defending to conserve energy for the next 2 games.

I'm not too sure how long you've been watching Arsenal for but their ineptitude in strong scoring opportunities has been consistently shocking for the last 2 or 3 seasons. Being able to actually produce a decent shot at the end of an attacking move is also part of the game.

sorry, one of the two should have been a penalty. and the equalizer was not deserved, it was the one mistake we made today. pool was dominated today everywhere except where it counts.

im tired of arguing with your point-switching/back-peddling idiocy

this season for arsenal isn't comparable to any of the last seasons

arsenal are/were the best team in all of the EPL...up until january they looked unstoppable. their best attribute, everyone agrees is their attacking. goal scoring opportunities...they had 2 in the opening 15 but Van Persie botched them in front of the goalie...for whatever reason. thru october Fabregas led the league in goals and thru december it was Adebayor. Hell LAST WEEK arsenal came back with 10 men from down 2-0....and you're talking about how they lack goal scoring opportunities?

the fact is this game easily couldve ended 4-1. TWO CLEARANCES OFF THE LINE = lucky ass shit plays. then you count hleb getting clotheslined by kuyt, which was a clear penalty

i believe you're a goon fan that simply doesnt keep up with the futbol world. first you call out adebayor...who's been bad in past seasons, but who's been pretty much the best pure striker in all of the epl this season...and now you question their attacking/finishing.

Last edited:
boredtd2.jpg

i mean if arsenal have "trouble with goalscoring" then the rest of the EPL is terrible and the champions league is filled with amateurs

Last edited:
where are you pulling this shit out of? who said anything about us having problems scoring? Are you fucking nuts?

sorry, one of the two should have been a penalty. and the equalizer was not deserved, it was the one mistake we made today. pool was dominated today everywhere except where it counts.

I missed the first 30 minutes or so, but from then it seemed fairly even other than the bendter clearing what should have been an arsenal goal off the line

purely my opinion, but the kuyt grab should have been a penalty but I also think that there was a good argument for a penalty for Liverpool later on that would have been given if the Arsenal penalty had been awarded.

first you call out adebayor...who's been bad in past seasons, but who's been pretty much the best pure striker in all of the epl this season...and now you question their attacking/finishing.

yes, you are nuts and a fucking idiot.

Adebayor the best pure striker in all of epl is pretty LOL

sorry, one of the two should have been a penalty.

Either the referee should have given both Hleb's penalty claim and Torres' claim or neither. Also I'm baffled as to why he was so tolerant of the last Arsenal defender constantly tripping Torres as the defenders were repeatedly left in the dust. Some time ago there was precedent for a red card for the last man if he fouled a striker who had passed him.

it was the one mistake we made today.

What exactly was the mistake? Did Arsenal not make mistakes when Kuyt somehow didn't score from 12 yards? I'd use the word "mistake" to describe the abysmal marking Liverpool were doing for Arsenal's goal though. Adebayor somehow stood right in front of the keeper unmarked.

pool was dominated today everywhere except where it counts.

Liverpool's strategy was clear. The first half was very balanced with Liverpool the aggressor for the first 15 minutes or so looking for the away goal. At the end of the first half the possession was Arsenal 48% - 52% Liverpool and the shots on target were equal. Once Liverpool obtained their away goal, they defended the second half to conserve energy (the two teams are playing each other 3 times over 12 days).

It is a strategy that is effective albeit undesirable to watch. Frequently this season both Liverpool and Arsenal have played weaker premiership teams and had something like 40 scoring opportunities against the other teams handful of chances and drawn the match.

i was so happy with 1-1

but i dont want to get too excited

there is a TON of football left to be played

Chicago is demolishing New England in the first match of the double header tonight on ESPN 2, 4-0

20 minutes before San Jose - Galaxy on the same channel, which will probably have a shit load of terrible defense

terrible defense all the way through imo

san jose had a goal ruled out in the second minute that was clearly onside

galaxy controlling the match now

sweet, didn't realize there was something soccer on cable. work so slow today didn't watch tv much at all (except terminator 2.) sweet 2nd half

Back