1x 3.5" bay card reader
1x DVD burner

I'm not linking those because
A) I already bought them...feedback is moot at this point
B) They are non-technical items and the details don't matter

I already have:
Hard drives
Hard drive backplane
Newegg.com - OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W Power Supply 100 - 240 V - Retail

I'm looking at finishing this build out pretty soon here...
I would like to wait for the Q9450 to come out (Q1...sometime)...but if it ends up being late March, I may just get a Q6600.
Newegg.com - ASUS MAXIMUS FORMULA LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N841-A3 GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
Don't have any specific RAM plans at the moment...so input on that would be particularly appreciated. [vague]Something DDR2 800 that I can overclock nicely would be good.[/vague]
Also looking for a second monitor...probably 24". Would rather get a nice one rather than a bargain and potentially regret it. This is as close as NewEgg has to the one I was looking at: Newegg.com - BenQ FP241VW Silver-Black 24" 6ms GTG DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor with Tilt Adjustment and 1:1 Pixel Mapping 500 cd/m2 1000:1 - Retail. If you put it on a normal stand, it is all but the same monitor. Unfortunately, I'm not exactly sure of a site I trust where I can get this monitor. I have not looked into NECs, but I'm sure there are some excellent ones available.

It is going to be a fairly expensive rig, all together, but I wanted one I could have fun working with and didn't mind spending money on something I spend so much time on. Also the first time I have built something with the intention of overclocking, so that played a significant role.

I don't expect to be able to play every new game at max settings on a 24" monitor, especially with a GTS...if all else fails I can play some things on my 19".

I am not big on 'off-brand' Ram although I have heard some decent feedback about Patriot... Geil a couple of years back had some bad feedback but seems to be making a comeback in quality I assume... I go with what has worked for me, that is all I can say..

DDR2 Ram is pricing very nicely presently... The DDR 1066 timings seem a little high but when I searched NewEgg, I couldn't find any less so if I had to do it over again right now, I would buy the DDR2 you have linked... I think you know this but you wanna look for the ones with available higher voltages....

Go to the MB's product pages on the ASUS website, link is on the newegg page. Check the QVL for memory compatibility. I don't screw around with memory anymore, only use recommended.

Yeah, I did that, but their list of 1066 memory is...short.

They approve a total of 4 1GB models and NewEgg only sells one of those. I guess for you the decision would be pretty easy.:hrm:

Back