[so] 1and1 vs Dreamhost?

Limbo

Contributor
Veteran XV
Looking to choose a provider for ecommerce, which would be faster and more reliable?
Seems like DH has better prices and they have "unlimited" space and bw. But I ping shit to their LA servers. I prefer east coast since I'm based in Toronto and so will my customers.
Anyone who tried both?

Dreamhost is crap.. Stay away from Bounceweb as well.. I just moved over to Hostgator and its cheap and has been lightning fast. If you have the cash Media Temple is A+

Dreamhost is cheap, so they try to cram as many websites on one server as possible and skimp on the bandwidth.

I've used both and I'd lean more to 1and1 but I never had trouble with either of them. I'm not a fan of the Dreamhost control panel and their password recovery thing would often take hours to send me a reset email.

i've been using 1&1 for years - its not amazing, but it works.

Yes you will need an SSL cert unless you are paying off site (paypal express checkout or website payment standard, or google checkout, etc)

Stay the fuck away from both since you're making an ecommerce site. They both oversell and reserve the right to close your account if you go over certain resource thresholds. They're far from unlimited.

i had 'unlimited' bandwidth with dreamhost.

i started putting high traffic shit up there and they deleted my account and would not transfer back my domain.

don't use them.

A company I freelance with has a few accounts with Media Temple.. like I said earlier if you can swing for it they are top notch. I have used the Grid Service and their DV Server and both are very good

Used both. 1&1's customer support is worse, performance is worse, available tools and support are worse.

They will both kill your site if you're using them as a download site (e.g. hosting videos...). I'd also go with something more corporate-tailored (i.e. better support package, guaranteed reliability, not on shared hosting) if you're doing an eCommerce site, but it depends on the volume you're expecting...

I've been using Dreamhost because I got a crazy deal and so far so good :shrug:

No experience using anyone else, though I've had to suffer through godaddy's junkshow a few times.

Have used 1and1 for like 6 years now, no problems. However I did hear that the worst problems come when you try to cancel.

Back