[Skis](Reno) - Need new ski recommendations - all mountain, backcountry, etc

sarbuze

Contributor
Veteran XV
Looking for recommendations for an all-mountain ski that will work well for some backcountry skiing as well as the groomed stuff. Plan to use with skins for some climbing up/ski down adventures as well. This is a new area for me, so would love rec's on binding/boot setups as well.

I've only owned Volkl's and K2's...but am open to try new brands.

Thanks!

Ahhh, ski thread. Finally. First of the year besides my off the cuff remarks about a TW trip. Good job. And Reno too (Heavenly). I plan on going December 13th - 16th.

Raja: (who currently has a torn ACL :( )
DSC_0056.JPG

Nadia: (who is currently frustrated by Raja's torn ACL)
DSC_0074.JPG

I was looking at the Gotoma's. Have you skied them or just going based on rec's?

how did he tear his acl?!? :( poor husky

He took a weird turn coming down the bottom of the stairs when we were heading out for a run. The pain in his whining immediately after the injury was terrible- I have nightmares about it. I'm debating surgery, but have read a lot about natural recovery. It's been 3 weeks...I'll wait 3 more. If he doesn't heal, he's getting it repaired surgically. Either way, it's a long (4-6 month) recovery :(

I haven't skied the Gotama but the new ones ski pretty well, unfortunately have super-weak construction. One friend ripped a binding out of one (Volkl refused to warranty), another friend demolished the bases numerous times hitting things that most skis would have a small scratch from.

Specific ski suggestions are best made knowing height/weight/skiing style/location, but a lot of people are really happy with the K2 Hardside. I'm almost certainly going to get a pair, but waiting for demo days to see which (181 or 188).

As far as backcountry setups, I'd be more than happy to get in to that discussion, but it comes down to one binding: Dynafit. The new Marker F10/12 bindings look ok, but a little weak for anything other than 100% soft snow (not groomers, not bumps, not hucks to hardpack). I love talking skis and backcountry rigs can vary so much depending on use that I don't want to talk specifics.

I could talk your ear off about the surgery, had it done to our lab, about 3k. It's not going to heal on it's own. They have to put a plate in, then it's no running for 2 months.
TPLO vs. TTA for Cranial Cruciate Ligament Repair | Dog Knee and Leg Injury, Canine Cruciate Ligament Recovery, TPLO Surgery, CCL Injury Diagnosis, Dog Knee Brace Information
Go with the TTA, it's a newer procedure that works better. The thing is, most doctors are still doing the TPLO, which is a bigger plate. Go to your primary vet and they can recommend a TTA doctor. Visit a couple and go with one you feel comfortable with. This is a common injury with big dogs that run, make a sharp turn, and tear up their knee, just like a foot ball player.

Your primary vet may recommend physical therapy with a laser device. It helps, but the operation is probably necessary from what you said. The first thing they'll want to do is knock out the dog and take X-rays, this alone will cost 1k. They'll claim the dog has to be knocked out so they can get a good picture. Talk to your vet about this and see if they can do something else.

Last edited:
I live in Reno and wasn't able to make it up at all last year. Hopefully this year is different. We already beat the most rainfall for the month of October on record and it's going to rain more this weekend.

Our German Shorthair had ACL surgery last year also. He seemed to be fine but the hardest part was keeping him from running.

holy shit how do you keep a dog from running for two months. didn't know dogs were at such risk for acl tears.. perhaps I should get my doggy insurance now
:( get well soon doggies I feel your pain

holy shit how do you keep a dog from running for two months. didn't know dogs were at such risk for acl tears.. perhaps I should get my doggy insurance now
:( get well soon doggies I feel your pain
You walk them on a short leash and take it easy. Yes, doggy insurance could help, make sure it covers an ACL. There's really no way to avoid it either, dogs make sudden turns when playing. It's a tear, like ripping a cloth, or cutting a rubber band. In little dogs they try to mend the ligament back together with a graft, but in big dogs, that doesn't work. So the knee needs the metal rod as support.

Back