Should I...

...renounce my Canadian citizenship when I move to the US permanently?

Yes I have family and some property here but my country is rapidly becoming a fetid cesspool of the dregs of the world. I'm rapidly starting to hate everything here.

Keep your options open. I don't think there is a downside to keeping it. You could always do it later. Dual Citizenship is pretty cool. Kinda James Bondish ;)

There might be some tax and legal pitfalls later if you denounce it and can't say you own shit there because "dualy". Plus, it is well known that Canada sends hit squads after all Canadians that denounce their citizenship.

It's right there in your "Box of Faith" - the box that all Canadians are given at birth and usually keep hidden in their bedroom closet. Haven't you read the rules?

Last edited:
don't do it

leave politics out of making the $$$

my chick is in montana now but I couldn't go :cry:

Honestly it be like changing grocery lines. Just follow your heart. Both countries are great. All countries politics suck.

I'm actually a triple citizen. I have Canadian, French, and American citizenship which makes traveling somewhat of an ordeal. My Canadian passport has never gotten me anything my French or US passport couldn't. If for some reason I go broke and can't feed myself I can go to France and collect my military and Interior Ministry pensions and live pretty damn good life.

What about that property in CA? Are you going to will it?

I think that's the loose end that makes the diff.

Why not sell it?

What happens if you own it, there is some legal dispute. Now, they come after you but you no longer have the rights of a Canadian. It might be kinda funny if you want the drama. But, it could also be a nightmare hassle. Or, if you want to give it to someone, they may get ripped off on legal grounds.

1) Probably wise to just keep the citizenship along with the others.
2) If you keep the property - keep the citizenship
3) If you completely liquidate everything up there and it just bugs the shit out of you - then torch the Canadian citizenship. Or at least wait until it does cause some hassle and bail then.

When is all this shit finally over? Coming up this Fall?

Last edited:
I don't think that would work out all that well for them. I'm still pretty quick for an old guy.

lol, this sums up every post you've made for 10 years.

I get it, when you're aging and you still recall when you were bull of the woods, it's hard to concede you aren't any more.

You killed people, and I kicked a lot of ass. It's over now.

I get it, when you're aging and you still recall when you were bull of the woods, it's hard to concede you aren't any more.

What about that property in CA? Are you going to will it?

My youngest Son is taking over the ranch in Canada. I have settled my estate with my kids. Everyone more or less got an equal share be it money, business interests, land or a combination of stuff. I was very happy to see them come together and figure out what was equitable for everyone. I was so happy they decided to keep the ranch intact and have my youngest be the sole owner.

I have kept a chunk of money for myself and when I drop dead my new wife will get whatever we have in Montana. There can be no fighting now over who gets what.

Guys of all ages honor the older guys by making jokes about aging and bragging about "when we were young". It's part of the fun of getting older. Which isn't all that great.

Mental determination is something that can hang on until the end. Unless the brain goes or is broken. Even then, somewhere back in the brain stem is a driving force that won't quit.

Same with you. People on TW would joke with you in that manner more if they weren't worried it would make you feel bad.

Don't underestimate the power of humor. I know you have one! It comes out on occasion.

Happiness and humor is kinda like ED.

Guys go in.
Doc says "You ever wake up with a morning missile?"
Guy says, "Yeah, sometimes"
Doc says - "Well, it's all in your head."

If you can have a sense of humor sometimes, you can have one regularly.
The rest is all in the head :)

Last edited:
My youngest Son is taking over the ranch in Canada. I have settled my estate with my kids. Everyone more or less got an equal share be it money, business interests, land or a combination of stuff. I was very happy to see them come together and figure out what was equitable for everyone. I was so happy they decided to keep the ranch intact and have my youngest be the sole owner.

I have kept a chunk of money for myself and when I drop dead my new wife will get whatever we have in Montana. There can be no fighting now over who gets what.

So, legally - you are completely done with Canada?

Common sense says keep the citizenship for options. But, I think you are fine whatever you do.

If it bugs you and makes you feel better, get rid of it and stick the middle finger up.

It might feel like a clean, fresh start and that's what all of this has been about.

Nice to see you getting all that wrapped up. That was a ton of effort and it switches to good hard work now.

Again, congrats on getting everything all cleaned up and settled in with a new lease on life. Very respectable.

You are a good man, SC.

Guys of all ages honor the older guys by making jokes about aging and bragging about "when we were young". It's part of the fun of getting older. Which isn't all that great.

Mental determination is something that can hang on until the end. Unless the brain goes or is broken. Even then, somewhere back in the brain stem is a driving force that won't quit.

Meh.

It's similar, is it not, to every middle aged person griping about "these kids today." I'm old enough that I've seen it for a few generations, and even my own students, now approaching middle age, are complaining about "these kids today." I'll project there has never been a generation that didn't complain about the people born 2 decades after them.

Back