Server Transfer Problems

LGBR

Contributor
Veteran XX
Hello efriends.

As some of you may be aware, I'm a fairly avid WoW player and have been playing my rogue for more than four years now. I've been in good guilds, bad guilds, raiding guilds, pvp guilds, been a GM, been an officer, been an average joe - you name it, I've done it.

And I'm attached to my character to the point I'd rather take him with me wherever I go. This brings me to my question / problems.

I'm moving to Japan in a month, and would like to get some ICC in. However, raiding on an EST server when I'm 13 hours ahead might not work so well. When they want to raid at 9:00 PM, I'd have to be there at 10 AM my time - which wouldn't be bad except for two things:
1) I'll have to work most days
2) I'll probably be drunk / hung the fuck over if I don't work (Japan has no last call, typical barhopping nights there wound up with me catching a cab at 6 AM)

So I'd like to take Lagberius on his own little Asian Adventure and get him on a server more accepting of yellow timezones. Ping shouldn't be tooooo much of an issue considering the state of Japans fiberoptic networks and that I'm actually stealing my neighbors internet right now anyway.

Does anyone here have any experience with playing WoW overseas?
Can I transfer to an Asian server or are they going to be like "no nigga, you play American WoW" ?
Am I just limited as to what I've got in my realmlist file, or is it possible to change that and make something work?

I have this sinking feeling I'm going to be stuck connecting to an LA or Seattle WoW server and playing 10 hours ahead of anyone else. Hopefully there's a guild that runs stupid hours that'll work.

The only help I was able to find on the WoW forums / site was another dude moved to Tokyo and was bitching about a 600 ping and didn't get any answers as to transferring to an Asian server.

Thanks friends :sunny:

You can't transfer to anything except NA servers.

My old guild has someone that raids from Korea, and my guild has an Australian.

If you work a normal 9-5 in Japan you'd have to find a non-standard guild though.

I know people that play from the phillipines/east asia and they seem to favor the oceanic servers for the timezone difference. You would also be able to transfer your character here. Win/Win

There is a singaporean guild on Gorgonnash that raids 8am EST. There were a few australian guilds on Laughing Skull and Dark Iron too that raided in wonky timeslots.

Well, you have to assume that LGBR wants a guild that raids odd times but still speaks English.

Btw: Jas, does this mean I'm going to lose my spy?

Or you could just not play WoW for however long you are in Japan and enjoy the culture/scenery/bitches.

Zeph: Here's the thing about that.

1) I can't afford to be traveling throughout Japan constantly for a year or more. Bullet train tickets are anywhere from 100-200 dollars one way, owning a car isn't an option, and fortunately for me I've already seen most of the "must see" attractions in Japan (Osaka Castle, The Meiji Shrine, Koyasan, Hiroshima, Miyajima, etc) as well as 10 different cities. While traveling is definitely going to happen while I'm there, it's not going to happen every day.

2) I will be enjoying women regularly regardless.

3) A beer at a typical bar in Osaka is 5 bucks. Per beer. If I go to an all-I-can-drink place, it'll be anywhere from 20 (for all I can drink) to 40 (for all i can eat + drink). That adds up fast. If I'm going to live there, I'm going to want to have money to do cool things and going out every weekend/traveling every chance I get isn't going to help. Especially considering I definitely want to go back to Tokyo and have a better time there, as well as hit up Thailand and Korea.

One of my old GM's (from the guild I was in before my current one, actually) is from Singapore and is on like 24/7. I have no idea what he does for a living but he does it and still ran regular raids.

As far as Ozzie guilds go, that'd be fucking perfect. English speakers is a plus but not necessary as I'm clearly pro as fuck.

Time to find a good one on an Oceanic server I guess :boogie:

Rich: You won't lose your spy, no worries.

The pally girl almost refuses to talk to me right now, Masq is in hiding (LOL) and the network of good rogues on dalv keeps in pretty close contact. We can find out just about anything :sunny:

hey JC remember when elleah or whatever the fuck got all mad because i said something about her not being able to play WoW in the kitchen

that was a good time

and the network of rogues on dalv is astounding. there was a time way back when, when 60 was the top shit, that the top 3 rogues on dalv lived within 5 minutes of each other

i frequently fuck with silence about living down the street from him

Zeph: Here's the thing about that.

1) I can't afford to be traveling throughout Japan constantly for a year or more. Bullet train tickets are anywhere from 100-200 dollars one way, owning a car isn't an option, and fortunately for me I've already seen most of the "must see" attractions in Japan (Osaka Castle, The Meiji Shrine, Koyasan, Hiroshima, Miyajima, etc) as well as 10 different cities. While traveling is definitely going to happen while I'm there, it's not going to happen every day.

2) I will be enjoying women regularly regardless.

3) A beer at a typical bar in Osaka is 5 bucks. Per beer. If I go to an all-I-can-drink place, it'll be anywhere from 20 (for all I can drink) to 40 (for all i can eat + drink). That adds up fast. If I'm going to live there, I'm going to want to have money to do cool things and going out every weekend/traveling every chance I get isn't going to help. Especially considering I definitely want to go back to Tokyo and have a better time there, as well as hit up Thailand and Korea.

One of my old GM's (from the guild I was in before my current one, actually) is from Singapore and is on like 24/7. I have no idea what he does for a living but he does it and still ran regular raids.

As far as Ozzie guilds go, that'd be fucking perfect. English speakers is a plus but not necessary as I'm clearly pro as fuck.

Time to find a good one on an Oceanic server I guess :boogie:

Chuch. People love to knock WoW's 15$ / mo. But in reality, it's some of the best entertainment / dollar out there.

Back