serious equipment advice needed.

Whiplash

Veteran XX
as none of you may know i am disabled. i had an accident in '96 that made my left arm (hand especially) all but useless. at that time i had an american standard strat that i was learning on. i started off with a second hand jackson beretta.
I was told that i would never regain use of my arm/hand beyond maybe carrying A bag of groceries or possibly a small child. quickly i became pissed at my inability to play and practically gave away the guitar and everything i had.

In the past few years i did gain pretty much 80% use of my arm with some pain attached. By pushing past the pain i have found i can play guitar hero/rock band for hours at a time with less and less pain. the more time i spend playing those games the more i realize i need to start playing for real again. Of course 12 years out and i remember nothing.

----------------------------------------------
I need a decent playing guitar with a wide neck(big hands). Beginner to intermediate level Rock, Blues and metal sounds. Something good to learn on and then some. I don't care about extras like pedals and such, at least not until i find out if i can play. The look of the guitar doesn't matter much, playability matters more.
Decent amp for just practice and such, Headphones most of the time.

not looking to spend much at all on this initially, maybe $300.
i have looked at a few but i'd like opinions from here.
ESP LTD H-51
ESP-LTD-H101-Flame-Maple
Dean-Vendetta-1
Dean-ZX

anything i am missing?

why not drop down to the Line-6-Spider-III-15-Guitar-Combo-Amplifier?
half the price, half the power and all the same features except the footswitch option. this would be for my own benefit only so no need for high volumes yet. Is there any special reason other than volume to go with the 30 watt?

i have looked at the epiphones and everything else on the lower end of the price scale. while i have nothing at all against any of them personally most of the reviews were not flattering. most said parts had to be upgraded to get a decent tone/playability out of them. I fully expect that within a year whatever i buy may need some tweaking, but not right out of the box.
i mean if i intended on working on my purchase right away i'd go to a local pawn shop and pick up a beater and go from there.

I am open to all opinions here. what are peoples impressions (quality, longevity, tone, playability) of these brands/ models.

30w is louder :cool:

Edit: I don't have any personal experience with the ones you've picked. However, I've always been skeptical of Dean guitars.

Last edited:
Read the reviews on the Roland Microcube and it does sound impressive. no more than the line 6 sounds. What would the benefit be from the Roland beyond portability? that really doesn't matter to me, i will setup in one place and probably not move at all until after i upgrade all equipment anyway.

I have seen others say Dean guitars were "suspect" before, any particular reason you think so or is it just a feeling?

For all intent and purpose i am a beginner here, imagine yourself as a beginner. you know the old saying "if i knew then what i know now" well i am just trying to gain some of that insight prior to a purchase. no trolling, no Bullshit.

I'll have at least 4 hours everyday to use for this. I am frankly tired of wasting that 4 hours daily and want to put it to better use (the additional therapy doesn't hurt either)

If you wanted to spend a little bit more money you could get MIM fender strat. Those hold up well.

I really think it'd be worth shelling out the extra dough for. Neck is kind of thin though.

Last edited:
well, i really do not want to spend too much on this just yet. i have no idea if i will be able to even play or if i can for how long or how well.
besides that i have owned a fender strat and really don't want another fender.

stating that i do not want another fender or that most epiphones have bad reviews is hardly saying i've made up my mind. i was looking for personal opinions of the guys here. I would put more trust in what i get from here than random unknown people posting reviews online.

and now that you pissed of assfrags hes going to troll for another two weeks straight before we see another serious reply out of him ;)

Really Whiplash - what the fuck were you thinking?

If you are really a beginner, get something cheap and see if you want to put more time and money into it.
I have a epi lp and it sounds fine.

The urge to swap out parts, imo is silly.
Get an amp and effects to color whatever sound you like.
As long as the electronis aren't microphonic crap, you should be fine.

I have not disregarded anything you've said assfrags. in fact i have taken everything said in this thread and went on my own to research it. I probably wouldn't have looked at the line 6 amp if you hadn't suggested it and thats most likely the one i'll get. most likely the 30w just because.

i was actually looking into the epiphones before i even posted this. i just have nothing to go on other than the posted reviews which is why i came here.

Stilgar:
check the prices on the ones i listed, these are cheap choices. the low end epi lp/sg is about $160 and the esp i listed is about $100 more.
the epi you have hasn't been changed i assume? which model?

Back