selling valuable trading cards

There are some fascinating essays about the tanking of card prices in the 90's and the price fixing that was going on amongst the popular guides.

The most interesting thing was the number of cards being printed way more than you could ever guess. I forget the year 92 or 93 I think topps had a run of 300Million cards that year. It was impossible for any of those cards to have value as collectibles with that much supply. When the guides all tanked their prices they blamed it on the baseball strike but the real thing was eventually they could not keep saying that the Ken Griffey Jr rookie card was worth 40$ when there were 2 million copies of that card made.

In the end the final conclusion of every 'study' on the crash is that newsgroups and then the internet is what killed the prices forever. Because before those things the local hobby shop told you what the cards were worth and the beckett guides told them. Once you could log into a newsgroup and find 1,000 people all trying to sell cards for beckett prices was when it became clear that supply far exceeded demand and the beckett prices were pure fiction.

Last edited:
keep them sealed air tight for another 200 years they might be worth something when the supply has dwindled

there was about 10 million of each card printed and they were simply worth the cardstock they are printed on, hobby shops would advertise they had only 1 of these cards worth $150, but in reality they had bucketloads in the back

but it has been calculated that they will be worth something in the 23rd century

Last edited:
Awesome post, booty. I've never actually looked into why the cards were brought down in value. Your explanation makes sense.

I always assumed they just printed less of certain cards to make them rare. Didn't they sometimes say on the back what the odds were of certain types of cards?

My Bro just had a serious car accident therefore trying to find the best site/place to sell these at any help would be much appreciated, thanks guys

So while he's down for the count you swipe his cards and sell them on him, some nice fuckin brother you are.

I hope he comes to and kicks your ass :sunny:

haha, i just checked on a sealed full set of baseball cards i got as a present in '90. its still in plastic wrap, been stored safely for 20 years now.

eBay prices show it as worth $5.00 now. amazing!

Tulip mania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tulip mania or tulipomania (Dutch names include: tulpenmanie, tulpomanie, tulpenwoede, tulpengekte and bollengekte) was a period in the Dutch Golden Age during which contract prices for bulbs of the recently introduced tulip reached extraordinarily high levels and then suddenly collapsed. At the peak of tulip mania, in February 1637, some single tulip bulbs sold for more than 10 times the annual income of a skilled craftsman. It is generally considered the first recorded speculative bubble (or economic bubble),

Back