San Antonio Neighborhood/Apartment Advice?

OtisPAB

Veteran X
I'm probably moving to San Antonio and would appreciate any advice on good neighborhoods/apartments in the general vicinity of Lackland AFB. Thanks e-pals!

I would recommend not living in the suburbs, if at all possible. If you don't mind a moderate commute, look in Alamo Heights, Olmos Park, Terrell Hills and surrounding areas. Those are probably the nicest and most centrally located neighborhoods in the city.

And get lowracks in here, he drives all over the city.

sanantonioregional.gif

The entire southern half of San Antonio (south of 90/10), with few exceptions is shitty, all the new development has taken place in the northern half for decades.

You basically don't want to live inside 410 (on the southern portion) if you can help it, given a choice.

The 151 area is fairly nice and gets nicer as you approach 1604. Sea World is out in this area.

Marbach is an average area, it's a mix of nice and shitty houses depending on the area. Stay far away from any area near castroville road and 90.

Alamo heights and terrell hills are bad suggestions, the commute would take you close to an hour each morning.

Last edited:
The Leon Valley area, or just south of it, might be another option for you. You have to keep in mind, a lot of shit is under construction here in town. Bandera (hwy 16) and 410 are under massive construction, as is most of 410 from that area to just north of 90.

Also, around 35/410 there is big construction. Our traffic situation is better than Houston/Austin, but it gets kinda packed at the normal times.

Last edited:
Thanks for suggestions. It's a good place to start! I really would like to keep the commute to no more than 20 minutes.

i used to live at a place called the villas at costa brava - its at 7333 potranco - which is around 10 minutes from lackland.

it is a nice complex with fairly cheap rent, only catch is that there seem to be quite a few katrina refugees there, but not nearly as much as a year ago.

i paid 790 for a great sized 2b/2b with a balcony.

if you are looking for a house you may want to look outside 151 in a neighborhood called Brycewood.

there's also the Big Country area but it is kinda ghetto but very close to lackland (1604 & 90)

if you want a quiet place that wont break the bank, check out Silver Creek. it is an older neighborhood that hasnt gone to shit.

avoid bandera road apts at all cost - INSANE traffic.

anything north outside 1604 is really nice & homes are going for dirt cheap right now if you don't mind the commute, there's also some new apts on 151 that seem nice too

Yeah like everyone said stay away from the south side. Also why get a apartment when for the same price you could get a house? I am renting a 5 year old 2300 sq ft house in a gated community on the NE side for $1095.

Back