[roofing] question about cost for a small project

T-Funk

Veteran XV
So the retards who did the roof on the house i just bought decided at that time to remove the bathroom vent and pump it directly into the attic

i can see the fucking hole they covered up in the roof to do this about a meter above the pipe from the bathroom

im curious around how much it may cost to get a roofer dude to extend the pipe back up through the roof and replace some shingles/flashing/whatever around it?

You can't get a good roof for less than $2500

Did you not read the post?

He needs at most a single bundle of shingles(really only like 3-sheets), some chimney piping(could actually probably just use the plastic springy stuff to make life easy) and a vent cover.

He doesn't need a whole roof just a vent.

oh ok

you can't get a good single bundle of shingles, some good chimney poping, and a good vent cover for less than $2500

Whatever you do, Do it quickly or all the moisture getting caught in the attic is gonna cost more than drilling just a hole and patching with tar.

you use black ABS for venting. You will need a coupling, a length of ABS pipe (prob 2" wide but it may be less) a rubber flashing (they make them specifically for this precut and everything), a hole saw, and a tube of roof tar to seal it all back up.

This is an EASY do it yourself job dude don't pay someone unless you are terrified of getting on your roof. Hot the hardware store and explain and they will set you up.

Cost is probably around 80 bucks total.

get the people who did the work incorrectly the first time to fix it...FOR FREE

edit: i may or may not have read the OP correctly

you use black ABS for venting. You will need a coupling, a length of ABS pipe (prob 2" wide but it may be less) a rubber flashing (they make them specifically for this precut and everything), a hole saw, and a tube of roof tar to seal it all back up.

This is an EASY do it yourself job dude don't pay someone unless you are terrified of getting on your roof. Hot the hardware store and explain and they will set you up.

well said

So the retards who did the roof on the house i just bought decided at that time to remove the bathroom vent and pump it directly into the attic

i can see the fucking hole they covered up in the roof to do this about a meter above the pipe from the bathroom

im curious around how much it may cost to get a roofer dude to extend the pipe back up through the roof and replace some shingles/flashing/whatever around it?

sue the original roofers

if you don't know who they are, sue who you bought the house from

For someone else to do it? $300 bucks.

If you do it, half that.
Supplies Needed:
1. 6' piece of vent PVP pipe - $6 bucks
2. Coupler for vent pip - $8 bucks (rubber)
3. Vent for roof - $10 bucks
4. You are NO expert, so you WILL need roof tar in a tube - $4/tube. Buy 3 to be safe
5. Couple shingles that match/close to yours - $8 bucks
6. Labor - (almost) priceless - $100 bucks

How to do it:
Get into the attic and take a cordless drill with a long bit with you. Drill straight up from the vent and through the roof/shingles.
Take circular saw with old blade up on roof and cut an opening big enough to get the vent pipe through square (unless you're good and have a hole-saw kit).
Head back to the attic and have someone lower the vent pipe down to you.
Attach rubber boot/coupler in attic.
On the roof, take off a few shingles around the hole/pipe and put new roof vent collar on pipe. Make sure you DO NOT nail the bottom half of the collar.
Weave collar into shingles there....add shingles and weave them if needed (shouldn't, but you're no professional).
Come back and post pics to TW.
Profit.

You forgot the part about running a webcam to the roof streaming to TW in case he falls.

sue the original roofers

if you don't know who they are, sue who you bought the house from

i found this problem during the home inspection, i knew it was an issue and i accept the issue
just want to fix it

luckily there is no mold problem or anything

For someone else to do it? $300 bucks.

If you do it, half that.
Supplies Needed:
1. 6' piece of vent PVP pipe - $6 bucks
2. Coupler for vent pip - $8 bucks (rubber)
3. Vent for roof - $10 bucks
4. You are NO expert, so you WILL need roof tar in a tube - $4/tube. Buy 3 to be safe
5. Couple shingles that match/close to yours - $8 bucks
6. Labor - (almost) priceless - $100 bucks

How to do it:
Get into the attic and take a cordless drill with a long bit with you. Drill straight up from the vent and through the roof/shingles.
Take circular saw with old blade up on roof and cut an opening big enough to get the vent pipe through square (unless you're good and have a hole-saw kit).
Head back to the attic and have someone lower the vent pipe down to you.
Attach rubber boot/coupler in attic.
On the roof, take off a few shingles around the hole/pipe and put new roof vent collar on pipe. Make sure you DO NOT nail the bottom half of the collar.
Weave collar into shingles there....add shingles and weave them if needed (shouldn't, but you're no professional).
Come back and post pics to TW.
Profit.

i22x.jpg

i21.jpg

^^^
seriously is it that hard to just put shingles around the vent in the first place

oh and thanks for the info

Last edited:
Back