Rochester, NY

Journ3y

Veteran X
Wow I know 99% of you have no clue who I am, but IM a bit of an old schooler just looking for some help in terms of job hunting in rochester, ny. IM moving there from syracuse for family reasons and am having a bitch of a time trying to find any job in the area that is not a minimum wage job. I have tries monster, hotjobs, rochesterjobs.com etc but was looking to see if anyone on the forum has any info on company hirings in and around the area. I know this will prolly get bumped out of extinction before 4pm est but if anyone has any info can you please get at me here or call my cell. 3155162337. Again if you guys can help or are just in a nice mood, gimme a lil bumpy bumpy... :)

Mainly a sales backgrouns with management experience in bars/rest and clubs. also worked security bartended, did construction all before my father passed. since then, its been a lot of sales (jewelry) etc...

Thanks again for any help guys - I miss T1!!!

Upstate NY is a fucking ghost town for jobs. High taxes have chased off all the businesses here.

Leave the state while you're already on the move.

I live south of Rochester, by Geneseo.

How much are you looking to make? I work for a factory thats hiring right now. I make 8.75, but Im sure they bump it up for full timers (Im just a lowly temp).

Other than that, I don't know too many places. How old are you?

Vlasic said:
Upstate NY is a fucking ghost town for jobs. High taxes have chased off all the businesses here.

yeah its fucking rough up here..

Everyone applying for jobs up here is way overqualified..

hell at the college helpdesk i work at they were taking applications from people with multiple degrees and doctorates for an opening helpdesk tech job..

There is nothing up here.

Vlasic said:

High taxes don't have a thing to do with it. The businesses aren't leaving, they are just falling to pieces or outsourcing.

Tribal Imperialist said:
High taxes don't have a thing to do with it. The businesses aren't leaving, they are just falling to pieces or outsourcing.
ahahahahaha

do you actually believe that?!?!

Vlasic said:

This man speaks the truth. High taxes and shit weather. There is absolutely no reason to live here.

Vlasic said:
ahahahahaha

do you actually believe that?!?!
I've been here watching it my entire life. Rochester used to be a huge flour mill city. Binghamton used to be a huge shoe manufacturing city. Buffalo used to be a big shipping city. Guess what? Manufacturing went overseas years ago. Western NY is considered part of the rust belt.

Upstate NY recovered a bit, but never fully. Kodak started in Rochester, and they are still a big employer today. But their decision to stick with film at the beginning of the digital camera era did them in, and they've layed off thousands.

That ripples through the community, as other businesses rely on those people for their business, they go out of business and lose their jobs, too.

IBM started in Binghamton. They also have a plant in Rochester. They did a lot of assembly (as in, putting computers together/soldering boards) work. Guess what? That went overseas, too. IBM has moved almost all of their remaining jobs to Poughkeepsie, which is STILL in upstate, new york.

Xerox was owned by the tech bust, as well as retarded decisions they constantly made (like selling the rights to a windowing operating system they invented to apple.)

Even with the supposed high taxes (which in reality are higher sales taxes and lower income taxes,) New York City thrives economically. They are in the same state, subject to the same taxes. Yet they are the financial capitol of the world, and businesses just keep moving in. Can you explain that?

I really have to question your understanding of upstate NY. You seem to be motivated by some political ideology and not reality.

telemanagement software... call accounting things like that.

You'll find that while lots of people were laid off by kodak and xerox in rochester alot of the smaller companies have done a good job in absorbing alot of that. Rochester is still better off than Buffalo at least. I just finished up at RIT and it took me about 5-6 months to find a job here (I started looking in November). Thats about average for a new college grad. Besides we still have garbage plates and that pretty much makes up for everything else.

Back