Rhythm 0 (nws)

Mjolnir

Veteran XV
Marina Abramovic on Rhythm 0 (1974) on Vimeo

This piece was primarily a trust exercise, in which she told viewers she would not move for six hours no matter what they did to her. She placed 72 objects one could use in pleasing or destructive ways, ranging from flowers and a feather boa to a knife and a loaded pistol, on a table near her and invited the viewers to use them on her however they wanted.

Initially, Abramović said, viewers were peaceful and timid, but it escalated to violence quickly. “The experience I learned was that … if you leave decision to the public, you can be killed… I felt really violated: they cut my clothes, stuck rose thorns in my stomach, one person aimed the gun at my head, and another took it away. It created an aggressive atmosphere. After exactly 6 hours, as planned, I stood up and started walking toward the public. Everyone ran away, escaping an actual confrontation.”

This piece revealed something terrible about humanity, similar to what Philip Zimbardo’s Stanford Prison Experiment or Stanley Milgram’s Obedience Experiment, both of which also proved how readily people will harm one another under unusual circumstances.

This performance showed just how easy it is to dehumanize a person who doesn’t fight back, and is particularly powerful because it defies what we think we know about ourselves. I’m certain the no one reading this believes the people around him/her capable of doing such things to another human being, but this performance proves otherwise.

tumblr_mlol69vk3s1sok8xso1_500.jpg

063-rhythm-0.jpg

nws

Comment from someone regarding Rhythm 0:
So every single person who told me ‘ignore them they’ll go away’ and ‘you can’t let them know they bothered you’ and ‘They’ll stop if they don’t see you react’ and all that bull shit, my entire school career, I want you to look good and hard at this.

I want you to think about what you said.

What you keep saying.

What you are telling your children.

You are making them powerless.

wtf

"hey do whatever you want, betcha I won't react!"

*starts trying to make her react*

"See people are mean!"

We should have a seperate word for bad art, that way a person can't call themselves an artist until the make good art.

stupid artist, stupid concept like most of concept/performance art
atleast when things are painted/drawn/sculptured u can tell by the look it is bad

this was held in a small gallery, all the people who came to the gallery performance were expected to behave in the way they did. I'd go as far as to say any of the "crazy" stuff was actually discussed beforehand with friends or whoever to ensure it happened if nobody else stepped up.

imagine if she did this and everyone just sort of sat around for 6 hours while she stood there doing nothing. wouldn't make for much of a story would it?

meh, I really dislike most performance art

this is what happens when you fill a room with shit modern art types

every person doing something demeaning probably thought he was doing something artsy as fuck

as someone who has performed stuff several times with different viewers including public space...

anytime you do a performance its a trust exercise.

some people are just antagonistic and will jump at the opportunity to screw with others. it's happened to everyone who does performances.

imo its not about being 'artsy' its about control. when you open things up for people to intervene, some will take the opportunity and attempt to take over. it's the same basic thing as a heckler. they want to take attention. but in a theater or club there are basic social assumptions in place about the audience and the actor/comedian/whatever that keep things from getting out of hand.

Her pants weren't ripped off and wasn't violated with an object?

She should be pleased.

wtf

"hey do whatever you want, betcha I won't react!"

*starts trying to make her react*

"See people are mean!"

We should have a seperate word for bad art, that way a person can't call themselves an artist until the make good art.

Yeah, this is retarded. She has everything to gain from people acting mean towards her. If they didn't, she wouldn't be able to write her dumb article or whatever.

That said, she's right though, people are mean.

Back