[Resignation] Before or after signing new job contract?

OriGiNaL

Contributor
Veteran XX
I'm very close to resigning from my job for a new position in a larger company. I feel like it would be smart to sign the new employment agreement with the new company before handing in notice at my existing company. Is this normal?

If the new company gives me a 'verbal' offer and is drawing up the contract is it normal to resign from your existing job at that point? I want to play this as intelligently as possible without offending either party.

NEVER quit until you have that new job locked up and IN WRITING

it's business man, people have been fucked over at the last minute before

Sign the fooking contract/accept the new job! :signed:

THEN.....resign!

Do you think
they would give you
2 weeks notice if you got fired? :huh:

Last edited:
if you can't figure this out, you probably don't deserve either job

I've been with my company for 5 years and it was my first job out of University. I was 99% sure this was the way to go, just wanted to get a few opinions. Sorry buddy

Make sure you stay diplomatic on the way out the door too -- usual exit interview bullshit "this was an opportunity that presented itself for a new challenge I just couldn't refuse, etc.etc." In other words leave on good terms, resist the impulse to tell them what sucks about the current company etc..

I left a job at a pretty sweet company to move to southern california with plans to apply for grad school. I had savings but hadn't looked for any jobs in the area or filled out any applications for school yet. I ended up getting a good job and getting into the school I wanted but now that I look back...holy shit what the fuck was I thinking!?!

Definitely after - the only reason you would maybe tell the old job before signing the new one is if you thought they'd offer you a sweet raise or something that would make you stay.

ya...nothing wrong with telling your current employer that you have a better offer from someone else. See how bad they really want to keep you.

Definitely after - the only reason you would maybe tell the old job before signing the new one is if you thought they'd offer you a sweet raise or something that would make you stay.

Almost always a terrible idea to take a counter offer, especially if you're leaving because your present company is littered with dicks. They'll always question your loyalty and both your superiors and colleagues on the same level will be pissed for "extorting" them. Yes, it's just business on your part but I wouldn't be surprised if you get passed over for promotions and future raises because of your power play.

Back